Removing / blocking apps on an iPad?

MrDavo
Here to help

Removing / blocking apps on an iPad?

Hi All,

I work at a school and students are loading a VPN app onto their iPads.

Is there any way to remove an app using Meraki? Also can I block an app from being installed in the first place?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Davo

6 REPLIES 6
MarcP
Kind of a big deal

Maybe:

Systemmanager --> Apps --> Choose App --> Scope "No devices (disabled)"

Or check:

https://documentation.meraki.com/SM/Profiles_and_Settings/Removing_Profiles_and_Apps_from_Managed_De...

G'day mate,

Looks like this method only works for Apps that are 'pre-installed' with Meraki. I really need to remove Apps that students are adding themselves through the Store (manually).

I am wondering if I pushed the VPN Apps out then then deleted them through Meraki if that would block future manual installations?

Kind Regards,

Davo
Haydn
Getting noticed

(In a profile) Restrictions > iOS Supervised restrictions > Show or Hide Apps > Do not allow the following apps > Add the VPN Apps

Hi Haydn,

Thank you very much for your response. I am wondering if the functionality that you describe is available in the free product, and whether it works on manually installed apps?

Kind Regards,

Davo

Haydn
Getting noticed

Hi Davo,

I cant answer your question about it being available in the free version.

When I go to block an app that we dont deploy, say 'Angry Birds 2' it seems to search the app store so in theory you should be able to block any app in the appstore.

Angry.JPG

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@MrDavo  Are the devices managed by Meraki, if not your only real way to stop them using VPN app's is by filtering using an application firewall rule.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels