Pushing app update

VadimK
Conversationalist

Pushing app update

Is there a way to ensure the managed enterprise apps on supervised devices are up-to-date?
Documentation says that when pushing app update the user will be prompted to update the selected app.
I understand it's the case when the app is running, otherwise it will be updated without any user interaction.
However, if the user chooses to skip the update in order to avoid interruption, can the user perform the update later on or do we have to push an update again to the device?

10 REPLIES 10
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

You would have to push the update again if they canceled. You are able to tell if the update successfully made it or not by the activity monitor.

Enthusiast
MarcP
Kind of a big deal

@kYutobi wrote:

You would have to push the update again if they canceled. You are able to tell if the update successfully made it or not by the activity monitor.

Can´t you delete the app from the devices, put the new version into the dashboard and let it install this way on the devices?

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

I mean yeah to keep it simple where they are forced to install the new app when you delete the old one should work. Just be sure to remove app from clients first, then remove the app, and insert updated app to users again.  

Enthusiast
VadimK
Conversationalist

@kYutobi wrote:

I can see in Activity Log Install enterprise app command with Success status, but in fact the app was not updated, so I had to push today again to make it happen.

Unfortunately, updating the app via removing it first doesn't sound like a good solution for us, since clients might be using the app and removing it as I imagine would abruptly interrupt their work.

MarcP
Kind of a big deal

@VadimK wrote:

Unfortunately, updating the app via removing it first doesn't sound like a good solution for us, since clients might be using the app and removing it as I imagine would abruptly interrupt their work.

For this case you could use geofencing... When they are not in the office you can assume they don´t work with it. 

VadimK
Conversationalist

@MarcP wrote:

@VadimK wrote:

For this case you could use geofencing... When they are not in the office you can assume they don´t work with it. 

It's good to know the options like geofencing that you've mentioned, but our apps are used by various hospitals including operating theatres, so we'd like to avoid any forceful actions when dealing with clients...

vassallon
Kind of a big deal

@VadimK Are you setting your apps to auto-update? That's the easiest way to make sure they are kept up to date.

UptodateApps.PNG

Every since iOS 12.1 came out it appears the automatic app updating is working as expected now.

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
VadimK
Conversationalist

@vassallon wrote:

@VadimK Are you setting your apps to auto-update? That's the easiest way to make sure they are kept up to date.

UptodateApps.PNG

Every since iOS 12.1 came out it appears the automatic app updating is working as expected now.

Hi vassallon,

No, "Keep app up to date" option is not available for enterprise apps. I can see it only for App Store apps... 😥

vassallon
Kind of a big deal

Darn, I missed you had written they were enterprise apps. Unfortunately, you are stuck with the old method of having to do it by hand.

vassallon
Kind of a big deal

@VadimK I just watched this from WWDC, custom Apps sound like exactly what you are looking for to do the updates.

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2019/304

They start talking about custom Apps at about 24 minutes into the video.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels