Profiles Not Updating on Windows PCs

SamsonSF
Comes here often

Profiles Not Updating on Windows PCs

We're trying to update our Meraki VPN addresses via profiles and the Windows agent seems to have been written in such a way that updates will only happen if it was installed as the logged-in user or if the logged-in user has local admin rights. Has anyone else figured a way around this or how to push VPN address updates including the shared secret to Windows 10 PCs?

2 REPLIES 2
Seshu
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hello @SamsonSF 

Unfortunately, that is a limitation on Windows that the Management profile updates are only pushed down to the computers if it is logged in as a user that installed the profile/agent on the device. 

To be able to change the VPN Settings on the computers in such situations, I would recommend using Powershell Scripts so that the user can directly run the script to get the settings installed on the device.

Let me know if you have any questions please. If you would like to troubleshoot your specific situation, I would suggest opening a case with Meraki Support so that you can get a tailored response for your situation.

Regards,

Meraki Team

SamsonSF
Comes here often

Hello Seshu,

I appreciate your reply.

This actually isn't a Windows limitation. Meraki is the only MDM that I know of with an agent that behaves this way. The development team should be able to fix this.

I've had cases with support with no success.

Do you have any examples of scripts?

Here's one that I have that works locally, but I haven't found a way yet to run on VPN clients because they don't have a normal startup or shutdown that triggers execution.

# Adds the new Meraki VPN connections.
Add-VpnConnection -Name "Connection Name Here" -ServerAddress "VPN Address Here" -AllUserConnection -TunnelType L2tp -L2tpPsk "Share Secret Here" -AuthenticationMethod PAP, CHAP, MSChapv2 -EncryptionLevel Required -Force -WA SilentlyContinue -RememberCredential

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels