Problems following Meraki SM Update

MJW
Here to help

Problems following Meraki SM Update

We have 85 Moto g6 Plays running Android 8. Following the update to the Meraki SM app we have had several of our team contact us to say all their apps have disappeared.

We have investigated the issue and noticed that once the SM app updates the handset prompts the user to unlock the phone using the unlock pattern and then presents the security screen asking the user to select which security lock method is to be used. The Pattern option is greyed out and cannot be selected so if we then select pin we are taken to the pin input screen however the keyboard we use (Swiftkey) is not present so we cannot type a pin.

The only work around we have found is to hard reset the handset, delete the device from the dashboard and re add to our network. This is very time consuming and is driving me mad!

Does anyone have any ideas how we could stop this happening? Any ideas welcome!!

Thanks in advance.

9 REPLIES 9
PeterJames
Head in the Cloud

Hi @MJW ,

The reason your apps are disappearing is because you have in your profile that a PIN is required, as your users do not have one the MDM is deciding to remove all your apps. We have the same issue, so needed to separate out our profiles. This in my opinion is stupid and should be optional.

The second issue to get around the above issue (to avoid a factory reset); certain builds of Android comes with built-in keyboard apps. But when you use the whitelist Apps profile feature, this hides the built in keyboard.

As you have mentioned swiftkey, which is a very popular choice for vendors, you need to whitelist it too: "com.touchtype.swiftkey".

I hope this helps.

Thank you,
Peter James

Morning Peter, thank you for your post.

We have swiftkey whitelisted but unfortunately all app's including swiftkey are not displayed - therefore when our team selects add a PIN they are presented with the google voice to type screen and a message saying this input method cannot be used!

We have had to factory reset almost all handsets and adjust our profiles.

This issue needs to be picked up by Meraki, as I see it, if you use whitelisted apps and your profile ensures the phone is protected with a PIN we are continually going to have problems.

Not sure if anyone else has found a solution?

PeterJames
Head in the Cloud

Hi @MJW,

Switfkey will not show as an app but it will now give you a keyboard symbol when Google voice is on the screen allowing you to switch. If it does not, then the name of the whitelisted app is either wrong or the wrong keyboard app for your device.

I completely agree that if you are using whitelists it should warn you about vendor keyboards and Google voice. If Android cannot detect a keyboard it defaults to what it has left...which is voice.

Unfortunately, there is no clean solution that I have found.

Meraki would be the only ones who can fix; all Apps removing if there is no required PIN setup. It should ideally be a choice, but I am not sure if this is a limitation of Android and possibly outside of Meraki's control.

Thank you,
Peter James

Thank you Peter!

JoshH
Getting noticed

Hi, I am having the similar problem also, though I am not using whitelist. 

Users apps are disappearing including the default email app....

Makes their phones pretty useless!

PeterJames
Head in the Cloud

Hi All,

I believe I have tracked down this fault and have raised support case 03822299.

https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/admin/device-admin clearly states that that the minimum PIN length is now 6, previously (and what can be set in Meraki profile) is 4.

As the device would not meet the PIN requirements, by android design, the system will remove all apps (including any keyboards).

I will let you know how I get on.

Thank you,
Peter James

Cheers Peter - to get round the issue we have removed the enforced pin in the profile and manually added pins to the handsets.

Not ideal but has allowed us to function.

Will be interesting to see what Meraki say.

PeterJames
Head in the Cloud

I believe this has been fixed in the Systems Manager update (5.1.5) that was released yesterday.

If you are still without a keyboard, I have posted here with some steps that may help:

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Endpoint-Management-Systems/SM-Update-2nd-May-2019-Missing-Keyboard-...

Thank you Peter.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels