Ownership best practices - DEP, CSV, AD

Stealth_Network
Getting noticed

Ownership best practices - DEP, CSV, AD

Hi,

Having a few questions around SM as it relates to AD authentication and DEP. The IT team wants to use full DEP with no user involvement to roll out devices. The challenge is that after the fact, you have to assign Owners for Exchange to work. I want to use AD, but this forces registration of the device with AD credentials - Conflicting documentation from Meraki saying DEP device will not work with AD auth (Is this true?)

The other bonus of the AD registration is it assigns the device owner and device in SM

I don't really want to add 2500 users into SM via a CSV, but I know I can and add tags, devices, etc.

What has everyone else found to be a good solution or process arounf DEP, AD, CSV, Tags and ownership?

Thanks in advance,

3 REPLIES 3
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

We are using Android.  Under Systems Manager/General/(scroll down to)User authentication settings

We have AD authentication enabled during enrolment.  This also allows an ActiveSync profile to be pushed out with no user involvement so that email "just works" on the phone.

There is no mention that this is specific to Android, so I expect it should work with DEP as well.

Got it working fine, DEP iDevices and AD integration. The nice feature is you can disable a ton of prompts during initial activation of the device. It triggers on userID and the AD groups.

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

We are using DEP and AD and it is great. Why not let the users setup and authenticate with his/her AD account and have all your configrations pop down like that (assuming they are scoped by AD group)? Just my opinion.

Jared

Find this helpful? Click the kudos button. Thanks!
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels