Non-continuous, but regular periodic, connectivity for some devices to Meraki MDM

Otto_IT
Just browsing

Non-continuous, but regular periodic, connectivity for some devices to Meraki MDM

I rarely have the majority of devices showing on the Devices dashboard with active current connectivity, even when I know some have a decent wireless or cellular connection. However, recently I have noticed a significant portion of mobile devices (mainly Android phones) seem to show brief but regularly spaced connections every 4-5 hours under the Connectivity "bar chart". This seems new behavior and I am wondering if this is some new functionality of the Meraki MDM to reduce the overall bandwidth usage for devices on metered connections? But other devices will show the usual solid green bar with occasional drop outs. Is anyone else seeing this type of connectivity pattern?mdm connectivity.jpg

5 Replies 5
Adam
Kind of a big deal

Or I'd also wonder if there has been a recent update to any of the phone OS that are less chatty and maybe batch checkins. 

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are these devices in Device Owner mode?

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I've had similar issues for the last 2 months, I we have the agent installed on our devices and it appears to no longer communicate to the dahsboard evne if reinstalling it.

We have had to deploy the second method using certificates. You might want to give this a go. 

drewb
Conversationalist

I have a small group of Android 7.0-7.1.1 Samsung devices (100-120) and about 2+ weeks ago most every one went into this state. They are on 24/7 and had constant connectivity bars until recently. During this, SM interaction seems limited and inconsistent. For my fleet, devices would show online for 5m every hour consistently and some check-in interaction seemed possible and confirmed successful.

I have visited some of these devices and specifically closed SM app if it was open as well as reset device then reopen SM and sync and now see the connectivity bars resume constant contact. SM app has been observed to stop responding/quit working but generally after one or two of those repeated they are holding stable.Screen Shot 2018-08-10 at 4.53.22 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-08-10 at 4.53.52 PM.png

drewb
Conversationalist

My current path to resolving this is advising clients to close all active windows to ensure SM is not open, then reopen client. I am leaving it open in the background, so i dont know if just opening and closing resolves, but devices are checking in constantly again.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels