Naming iOS Devices

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

Naming iOS Devices

Hi All,

How are you guys naming your devices in dashboard? Currently, I am manually assigning names before the devices hit DEP. This is the only non-automated process that is stopping me from having a flawless and automated enrollment setup. Is there anyway to name the devices to their serial # or something else automatically.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Jared

Find this helpful? Click the kudos button. Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't know the answer.

The only thing I can think of is to use the Dashboard API to walk across the devices and rename them.

HTTP REQUEST

PUT /networks/[network_id]/sm/device/fields

PARAMETERS

• wifiMac
    The wifiMac of the device to be modified.
  • id
    The id of the device to be modified.
  • serial
    The serial of the device to be modified.
  • deviceFields
    The new fields of the device. Passed in as a JSON object. The list of available fields are: name, notes

SAMPLE REQUEST

curl -L -H 'X-Cisco-Meraki-API-KEY: <key>' -X PUT -H 'Content-Type: application/json' --data-binary '{"id":"123456", "deviceFields":"{"name":"<name>"}"}' 'https://dashboard.meraki.com/api/v0/networks/[networkId]/sm/device/fields'
jared_f
Kind of a big deal

Thanks @PhilipDAth, I will give that a go. Maybe I can set it up on our servers to trigger even night. 

Find this helpful? Click the kudos button. Thanks!
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

When you are logged in go "Help" in the top right hand corner, and then "API Docs" to get more info.

PeterJames
Head in the Cloud

@jared_f This is something we have struggled with too, but this really falls down to an internal decision.

We take the approach of having a customers number alongside the device number. However due to the lack of any ability to report devices across networks, for one client, we have all our devices on one network.

It would be good if name automation could be something like: (%organisation ID%)-(%Network ID%)-(%Device Number%).

Thank you,
Peter James

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels