Moving a VM from Host to Host installs new SM (Due to Active Directory GPO)

SOLVED
LegoGeek
Getting noticed

Moving a VM from Host to Host installs new SM (Due to Active Directory GPO)

Hey All,

Good or bad I've implemented years ago this KB:

https://documentation.meraki.com/SM/Device_Enrollment/Systems_Manager_Installation_using_Active_Dire...

Its been very nice and automated... it even installs the agent on my Servers (and VM's {Virtual Machines}).  In some cases, this has actually been really helpful as an option to Remote In when other options were not available at the time.

In recent days we've been doing a lot of Server Host updates/upgrades.  So sometimes we have to move a VM from one Host to the other.  What happens in my SM world is that when we spin up the VM on a different Host I get a new notification that a "new" SM client has enrolled.  However, its actually a duplicate.  The original went offline and a new version of it now exsits in the list of SM Cleints.

Any thoughts as to why or a means in which to prevent it OR even "merge" the two within SM Clients?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

Even though it is the same VM on a new host is the virtual mac address the same? Also recommendation would be just to delete both (if they are there still) and re-enroll the VM that was moved over.

Enthusiast

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

Even though it is the same VM on a new host is the virtual mac address the same? Also recommendation would be just to delete both (if they are there still) and re-enroll the VM that was moved over.

Enthusiast

Thanks, kYutobi!

I kinda figured that would be the case.  The virtual MAC address is changing, unfortunately.  I was hoping there'd be a way to "lock" that in but I can't find a method... it's also ill-advised.

I guess I'll just have to live with deleting old ones as they arise.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels