Mounting Network Shares

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

Mounting Network Shares

Just curious how you are mounting network shares on your Mac systems. I have a Linux share setup and am going to mount at login. The only issue is that laptops roam off the network and on, I am thinking about limiting the script to only run on devices that are connected to the laptop wifi.

Thanks!

Jared

Find this helpful? Click the kudos button. Thanks!
7 Replies 7
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are you referring to machines with a network login or local login?

@BlakeRichardson They are mobile accounts created from AD.

We have a dedicated Mac guy. I'll ask him when he gets in today.

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

We have this as part of the dock. Doesn't seem to cause any problems when users are off network - no noticeable delay and I haven't gotten any complaints about it. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12

One of the guys in my team made an application that the users inputs their credentials into and it automatically mounts the specific sharepoint when the need it.

sshort
Building a reputation

You should check out Nomad. Aside from password resets, it helps with mounting shares (and works whether you're a local or AD-bound user account).

https://nomad.menu/help-center/shares-menu/

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

This solution works for us, but may not be for everyone. Here is an Apple script I am using. I saved it as an app and distributed within /library. I then created a configuration profile to display the drives on the desktop and to trigger the script at login. It checks to see if the user is on our WiFi if so, mounts the drives.

# Mount Network Shares 
# Written by Ian Lau, Modified by Jared Flitt
# Modified: 2/26/18
# CAUTION: You cannot define multiple file shares to mount. One file share per script.

# Define file share.
property shareAddr : "DEFINE SHARE PATH HERE"

# Eject file share if it is already mounted.
tell application "Finder"
	try
		eject disk "yourShare"
	end try
end tell

# Determine the current wireless network the computer is connected to.
try
	set SSID to do shell script "/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/airport -I | awk '/ SSID/ {print substr($0, index($0, $2))}'"
end try

# Check to see if the device is on the local network where the file share is accesible. If so, connect to the file share - If not, do not connect to the file share.
if SSID contains {"WIFI NETWORK HERE"} then
		mount volume shareAddr
	end tell
else if SSID contains {"WIFI NETWORK HERE"} then
		mount volume shareAddr
	end tell
end if

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels