Most iPads have lost connectivity to Mearki on 22nd May

AftabAhmad
Here to help

Most iPads have lost connectivity to Mearki on 22nd May

Hi all

Did something happen around 22nd May? I've just discovered that all have lost connectivity to Meraki. They all seem to be working fine but without them checking in I don't know what else they are not receiving from the profile. 

This started when one users iPad wouldn't install an app for no apparent reason. I did a quick wipe and let it re-enrol, all of a sudden it started working again. At that point I hadn't noticed the loss of connection for all of the other iPads in the device list. Her's is now showing connected after a wipe but the others aren't, see the screenshot below. I don't want to have to wipe all of the iPads in the school, can anyone help? I thought it may be our ISP, but i connected one to my 4G hotspot but this did not work.

Meraki.png

8 REPLIES 8
SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

From the screenshot I don't see any common items (os, location, etc.)

This might be a good place to start on the device. Finding out what is going on one of them will probably allow you to make the fix for all of them more easily.

1. Is your device associated to a wireless access point and is a connection to the Internet available?
  2. Look in Settings > General > Device Management.  Are the Meraki Management and any additional configured profiles listed there?  If so, does the Meraki Management profile description accurately reflect that of your Systems Manager dashboard network name?
  3. Install Apple Configurator to a workstation, plug in the iOS device via USB, and look at the console output of the device.  You should see events in the output that start with "mdm".

Thanks for your reply, 

I filtered out some of the columns for security however nothing changed last week, they are all in the school, connected to the same SSID as they have always been and the internet is working fine, they are able to access the internet outside of the school.

The screenshot also shows only 30, there are actually 75 iPads showing the same date and time last connected. All are on site and don't leave the school.

As previously stated, I reset one and that worked, another I connected to a 4G hotspot to see if the schools ISP/Firewall was blocking ports but it didn't communicate with meraki, even asking it for a Check-in. SystemsManager app on the iPad also reports to be compliant yet still fails to check in with the MDM.

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

What happens if you reinstall MDM certificate to the iPad? See if it will check in. Do not wipe just reinstall the cert.

Enthusiast

@kYutobi wrote:

What happens if you reinstall MDM certificate to the iPad? See if it will check in. Do not wipe just reinstall the cert.

How do I do that?

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

• On the iPad itself go online to m.meraki.com
  • Then in your MDM clients menu hit "Add device" 
  • There should be your MDM code
  • Put code on iPad when you get to m.meraki.com 
  • You should be able to download and install MDM cert.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Enthusiast
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

To add to what @SoCalRacer has said. Are your devices compliant? Meaning have you updated your MDM certificates as well? Is it a sleep setting on your iPads as well that turn off wifi?

Enthusiast

Ahh looks like I updated the Push certificate last week 22nd however the VPP and DEP expired 29th, I've updated VPP but DEP seems to be down as the website fails.

Doesn't explain why after updating the push certificate they dropped on on 22nd as on that day DEP and VPP were still valid.

@AftabAhmad I would definitely look at getting ASM setup soon as DEP/VPP are being eliminated.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209617

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels