Meraki Profiles not showing

XXDXX
Here to help

Meraki Profiles not showing

I've created a Profile (Teachers) in System Manager > Manage > Settings

I've place a Teacher Tag on the iPads.  

The Teacher Profile is not pushing out and I can't see the Teacher Profile even after I clicked on the Refresh profiles list. 

Did I missed something?  Thank you in advance.

2019-03-22_005708.jpg2019-03-22_005747.jpg2019-03-22_005759.jpg 

28 REPLIES 28
MikeMandalorian
A model citizen

Do you have the Devices in hand or are they out in the field,,  if they are out in the field the Ipads will need to be on WIFI already and Unlocked in order for the settings to be pushed out. When i push out settings remotely i also ask the Enduser to open the SM meraki app to verify 4 green check marks 

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

You cannot push profiles to iPads that are unsupervised. I see that in your menu it says " Supervised:NO ". You can however still push apps.

Enthusiast

@kYutobi i have Profiles pushed out to Managed only devices 

@MikeMandalorianI have devices that aren't supervised and I cannot push settings to them. I had asked and it is said that it can only be done on supervised devices unless something changed.

Enthusiast

Manage.JPG

Ignore the App missing  its not profile based 

@MikeMandalorianHey Mike question for you. Do you have a tag that is associated with settings? It will look like it's clear if nothing is set. This is what I get when I try to push settings to it.

mererror.PNG

Enthusiast

Yes i do have a  Tag assigned to that device 

Right @MikeMandalorian I get that but do you have settings tied to that tag? For example I just removed tag that had settings to it, did an update, and its cleared.

mererror.PNG

Enthusiast

yes , for Managed only IOS , we use the generic IOS devices tag

So if you were to make another random settings and add IOS tag to it will it apply? This is the part where if you add settings it won't push.

Enthusiast

Stand by i will do this on a Roll off IPAD i have that is not in DEP,,  to be clear i cant give it the IOS device tag as it will interfere with other setting i have out there , but i will Copy the Managed Settings profile 

No problem. @MikeMandalorian Just create a fakeipad settings lol.

Enthusiast

All good on my end , pushed out the settings , even forced out App downloads like the SM meraki mdm app

Only difference I can ask is if you have SM Enterprise? I've been on legacy since before Meraki became Cisco. I just thought that if an iPad isn't in DEP or Supervised you can't push profile settings to them.

Enthusiast

@XXDXX  @kYutobi   I even added Wifi  on the Profile Configuration  and  it Updated on the Ipad

I apologize , i should have stated that we have the Full Meraki MDM 

Well that would kinda explain it since the Full MDM does have more features. @XXDXX if we both have the regular MDM it might be we are limited to this function. @MikeMandalorian Thank you for all the extra time you spent with me on this 😃

Enthusiast

Anytime Sir, that is why this Community is here !

vassallon
Kind of a big deal

@kYutobi Seeing that the iPad is not DEP-enrolled nor Supervised that also will limit the amount of things you can push to iPads.

Here is some documentation from Apple that helps you understand what is dependant on the device being supervised.

https://help.apple.com/deployment/mdm/#/mdm54960f92a

@XXDXX  First confirm the device you are trying to install the profile on is listed in the targeted list for those settings.

Next When you try and commad the device to update its profiles what messages do you get in the Activity log. 

I now got the profiles showing, but as you said, those iPads are not Supervised and it does limit the things I want to push through. 

However, I've tried to get those iPads supervised but failed.

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

It has happened to me before where if I don't purchase the iPads from Apple I can't add them to DEP. Other option would be Apple Configurator and have them supervised through there worked for me.

Enthusiast

Thanks for your reply.  No wonder I keep getting errors when I tried to add them in Apple School Manager, and of course the error log they asked you to check doesn't say what error it was.

vassallon
Kind of a big deal

@XXDXX 

Here is what Apple has to say about getting the devices enrolled.

If you’ve acquired devices outside of Apple or participating Apple Authorized Resellers or carriers, they can
also be added to DEP using Apple Configurator. When you set up a device that has been manually enrolled,
it behaves like any other enrolled device, with mandatory supervision and MDM enrollment. However, the
user has a 30-day provisional period to remove the device from enrollment, supervision, and MDM.
Learn more about how to manually enroll you devices.

I even left the typo that is in the Apple DEP document. 

https://www.apple.com/business/site/docs/DEP_Guide.pdf

Thanks for the info, I will read in to that.

Thanks, I'm going to see how to get it supervised and try

If you have the Free version   I would suggest to upgrade , then from there you would need to Enroll in Apple DEP and VPP . or Apple Configurator   once all that is done  if all your IOS devices are from the same vendor , add them as a authorized DEP vendor  and they can push them to DEP from there you sync with Meraki 

here is the Meraki Documentation to help you get a larger scale on it 

https://documentation.meraki.com/SM/Profiles_and_Settings/iOS_Supervision

But the WiFi profile got pushed, that's why I don't understand.  But the Wi-Fi profile is set to All devices where as the Teacher profile is tagged. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels