Meraki Device Owner Mode How to Get Samsung Apps Store and Theme Chooser Back

SOLVED
AYWE
Conversationalist

Meraki Device Owner Mode How to Get Samsung Apps Store and Theme Chooser Back

I'm using Meraki MDM. Using Device Owner mode, all the bloatware is stripped out of the phones. However, on my newest test phones - the Note 8 - this also strips useful (and "non-installable") apps such as the Galaxy Apps Store and the Theme Chooser. I managed to get the apps store back by ripping it from a standard setup phone, but the theme manager isn't cooperating. It installs, but when I long press and go to wallpapers, it gives a toast message that the app isn't installed.

Please help. Is there a way to choose what is preinstalled and what is blocked? Or a way to install the features I want after the phone's initial setup?

I'd like to be able to use the phone, and some of its amazing capabilities in Device Owner mode without being kneecapped by a lack of the basics.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Try adding the setting:

More Android/System Apps

Change the list type to "BlackList".  This will allow all system apps except the ones you put into this list.

I think a factory reset will be needed as well to get the apps back.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Try adding the setting:

More Android/System Apps

Change the list type to "BlackList".  This will allow all system apps except the ones you put into this list.

I think a factory reset will be needed as well to get the apps back.

AYWE
Conversationalist

PhillipDAth,

Thank you so much! This absolutely fixed the issue and allowed me access to all the system apps. Now what I'd like to do is start to whitelist the apps I want to allow, but the list I can choose from is very short (only 10 apps), and when I type a name into the box, I just get a black and white "thinking" circle in the right of the box forever. 

Do you know how I can pull up a list of apps (or what exactly to manually type into the box) in order to whitelist the apps I want?

Thank you again!

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

It would be great if you could mark my answer as the solution to your original question.

Every app has an ID. For example, the ID for the "standard" camera app is "com.android.camera".  This guide gives one way to get the bundle ID.

https://documentation.meraki.com/SM/Tags_and_Policies/App_white%2F%2Fblacklisting_in_security_polici...

It appears you can do wildcards as well (never done it myself.  So you should be able to do:

com.samsung.*

I haven't done it for a while, but I recall doing a settings.applications/about option somewhere to get the ID.

Hello

I was somehow at the same point and also could solve this with the blacklist letting it empty.

I want the owner of the device to have access to anything, also the whole play store.

How can I release all play store apps for the owner?

Thanks in advance!!!

-Jeremy

You can let the user log in to the google play store themselves!

You are right! Sorry, didn't even think of that haha.

Thanks!!!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels