Lock IOS Device to Website?

soomeGUy
Here to help

Lock IOS Device to Website?

I have some Ipads that I need to lock down to a single website.   I tried to create a webclip and then run the ipad in single app mode using webclip but it doesnt work, it gives a black screen and since you cant specify which webclip to run single app mode with, i am not surprised.

I was going to lock to Safari and then filter urls but if I set the web filter restriction to whitelist bookmark mode it works but the problem is the website loads assets from other sites and its not really feasible to add a bookmark for all the sites CDN's especially as htye seem to change sometimes.

Does anyone have a suggestion?  I  was thinking I could perhaps try and create an IOS app that just loads a website but then I need to sign up for all of apples programs to publish apps, etc which seems like over kill to lock the ipad to the website.  I cant do it on the firewall level as meraki security appliance doesnt let you filter urls by VLAN for some odd reason.

3 REPLIES 3
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I would deploy Chrome in single app mode.  I see two of the AppSetting options are UrlBlackList and UrlWhiteList.  You could configure it to block everything in the blacklist, and then add only the allowed urls to the whitelist.

https://www.chromium.org/administrators/url-blacklist-filter-format

@PhilipDAth wrote:

I would deploy Chrome in single app mode.  I see two of the AppSetting options are UrlBlackList and UrlWhiteList.  You could configure it to block everything in the blacklist, and then add only the allowed urls to the whitelist.

https://www.chromium.org/administrators/url-blacklist-filter-format

yeah this is what i am going to do, i am using group policy to block all other sites at the network level.

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

@soomeGUy I have actually done this successfully before by creating a policy that looks for a device in required kiosk mode (locked in) to Safari and then have a configuration profile scoped with content filter whitelisted that is triggered when the security policy is true (yes - the device is locked into safari). Would probably work for your needs.

Find this helpful? Click the kudos button. Thanks!
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels