Legacy Systems Manager and upgrading to Apple School Manager questions

ShawnH
Comes here often

Legacy Systems Manager and upgrading to Apple School Manager questions

Currently using Apple DEP and VPP with the legacy license of SM, Systems Manager, with 150 iPads.

Most are older iPads not compatible with multi user configuration.

Well Apple Deployment Programs will no longer be available starting December 1, 2019.

I have a few questions.

1) What will be broken if I do not upgrade to ASM, Apple System Manager, before 2019-12-1?

2) Does anything break if I do upgrade to ASM while using the legacy SM?

Sorry if I missed any helpful docs or discussions about this.

The stuff I found didn't leave me with confidence in how things would resolve.

Thanks,

--Shawn

3 REPLIES 3
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

Upgrade to Apple Business Manager

If your business organization currently uses the Device Enrollment Program, you can upgrade to Apple Business Manager. If your organization only uses the Volume Purchase Program (VPP),2 you can enroll in Apple Business Manager and then invite existing VPP Purchasers to your new Apple Business Manager account.

Apple Business Manager lets you buy content and configure automatic device enrollment in your mobile device management (MDM) solution. Apple Business Manager is accessible on the web, and is designed for technology managers and IT administrators.

To upgrade to Apple Business Manager,1 sign in to deploy.apple.com or business.apple.com using your Apple Deployment Programs Agent account, then follow the instructions.

1. To upgrade to Apple School Manager or Apple Business Manager, you need a Mac with Safari version 8 or later, or a PC with Microsoft Edge version 25.10 or later.

2. After December 1, 2019, legacy deploy.apple.com users will no longer be able to create VPP accounts, but existing accounts can still be invited to Apple Business Manager organizations.

Published Date: November 12, 2019

Enthusiast
ShawnH
Comes here often

Thank you for the reply.

The information I am looking for is how will the Meraki Systems Manager with legacy license handle the two situations I listed.

Hi @ShawnH did you ever get an answer to this? Does the Legacy Systems Manager work after upgrading to Apple Business Manager ?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels