Kiosk Restrictions

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

Kiosk Restrictions

I got bored and started playing around with single app mode (not sure if anyone still uses this in education with the introduction of Apple Classroom) and realized a huge flaw was single app modes inability to disable things like spell check, predictive keyboard, lookup, etc. 

I found a workaround if anyone is running into this issue. I created a policy that checks if the device is in kiosk mode (I used com.apple.mobilesafari as a sample) and saved it. I then created a web content filter that limits that device to a website when it is in single app mode. I noticed it takes about thirty seconds after the device is locked for the compliance status to change on the policy/sync down the configuration. I was only testing it with one iPad so that time may be different if you are locking a classroom set of iPads. The nice thing is when the device is unlocked the restrictions remove right away.

I know I tested this a while back and it would take 5+ minutes to become compliant and sync down to the iPad. Nice to see Meraki getting a little faster with these new updates! 

Find this helpful? Click the kudos button. Thanks!
1 REPLY 1
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Nice one, thanks for sharing.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels