Ipad Activation Lock

LJFerd
Conversationalist

Ipad Activation Lock

Hi, I've run into a strange problem this week where an iPad we manage is activation locked to an account we don't manage. I can by pass activation lock and configure the device as expected, getting the Meraki profile and config we desire, but when the device is reset it returns to an activation lock state with this account we don't manage or have access to.

On Apple Support's suggestion, ff I remove the ipad from management and set it up as an unmanaged device, I can configure it, sign in to icloud, and reset it, without activation lock. Only when I supervise and manage with my meraki profile does it prompt me to unlock with an account I don't manage and can't access. Has anyone seen this kind of behavior and have any suggestion?

6 REPLIES 6
vassallon
Kind of a big deal

Yes, this is an ongoing issue that Meraki and Apple are troubleshooting. I have another thread where I have outlined what I have figured out so far with this issue.

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Endpoint-Management-Systems/Activation-Locked-iPads/td-p/37600/jump-...

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
LJFerd
Conversationalist

Thanks @vassallon , have you heard anything more about this issue? I've now got 3 ipads exhibiting this activation lock. Because of the way our DEP is structured, I don't have access to the account the lock is "assigned" to and our desk staff don't currently have permission to send activation lock bypasses to the devices.

vassallon
Kind of a big deal

@LJFerd Still nothing new, last I knew Meraki is "researching" the cause. I just wish we'd get some kind of answer as it's adding a new layer of complexity that wasn't needed.

BrianBuchanan
Here to help

We are experiencing the same problem, just opened a case with Meraki. We determined that it's prompting for our DEP Admin account and password.

@BrianBuchanan 

It's very strange, I have tested it multiple times and from everything I can tell the activation lock is added after the iPad is reset. I really don't mind the functionality but I wish Meraki would give us some form of control over how it is applied.

LJFerd
Conversationalist

Update: @vassallon has posted an update which I'm testing now. I think in my case Activation Lock will need to be disabled through the privacy payload. Whether this has a negative impact on our current situation will need to be tested.

-Luke

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels