How can you disable Live Photos for iOS devivces from Systems Manager?

spiceheadjones
Just browsing

How can you disable Live Photos for iOS devivces from Systems Manager?

I have users that will be using a supervised iPad to take photos, and they will be transferring them to their desktop through USB. Live Photos are enabled by default, and they show up in the DCIM directory of the iPad as a .MOV file for each photo.

My users arent interested in the Live functionality, so it just adds extra noise that they need to parse through to locate the photos they're looking for, and additionally it complicates the copy-paste process, since they need to unselect the .MOV files. 

So is there a way to disable Live photos completely? 

I see I can disable it as a *default setting* by going to Settings > Camera > Preserve Settings > Live Photo, but I still need to go to the Camera app to disable it there, and my users can still accidentally re-enable it after that.

4 REPLIES 4
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@spiceheadjones Usually personalisation settings like these are not adjustable via an MDM. Having a google search for managed up settings should give you a clear answer hopefully.

Thanks for your reply @BlakeRichardson

A feature like this would be useful in a production environment, because the less opportunity there are for mistakes to occur, the better.

I may have them use the search bar in Windows Explorer to filter results by images only, if they wish to continue using the iPad for photos.

@spiceheadjones This is a lack of feature support on Apple's end not Meraki just FYI. 

ConnorL
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

If it's not listed here, then it's not supported by Apple and therefore something that cannot be changed by Meraki.

The only option that we have regarding MDM and the camera is disabling it:

Screenshot 2020-05-24 at 12.47.12.png

So, unfortunately, disabling Live Photos is not something MDM can change. You can submit feedback to Apple via this website. If they ever implement this, you can be sure Meraki will allow this too 😀. If the main headache is that users have to deselect the .mov files, maybe search the folder for the .heic or .jpg files and then the .mov's will be hidden. Live Photos can come out awesomely too!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels