Having the Meraki Website Open In Chrome Prevents Sleep

610Drew
Comes here often

Having the Meraki Website Open In Chrome Prevents Sleep

I was troubleshooting power management issues with my Windows 10 laptop.  It would not ever enter sleep mode.  One of the two causes I found was that when I have the Meraki SM site open in Chrome, there is data uploaded to the site which seems to reset the sleep timer.  Please see this cmd.exe output:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg -requests

EXECUTION:
[PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
Uploading data to n116.meraki.com

Does anyone know why my laptop would be updating data to Meraki?  This particular laptop does not even have the Meraki client installed.  And closing the tab does allow the laptop to enter sleep mode.

Thanks,

Drew

16 REPLIES 16
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What happens if you use a different browser? 

I guess I should try that.  I would expect the same but let me see...

@610Drew

I have a lot of Chrome issues at the moment, and have temporarily switched to Firefox. However, there is a Chrome option to allow browser(?) processes that have not finished to continue after Chrome is closed; there is an outside chance that this could change the behaviour you are experiencing. I run Win 10 Pro (64-bit) with virtually everything run out of the Cloud (no local servers).

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel

@Uberseehandel wrote:

@610Drew

I have a lot of Chrome issues at the moment, and have temporarily switched to Firefox. However, there is a Chrome option to allow browser(?) processes that have not finished to continue after Chrome is closed; there is an outside chance that this could change the behaviour you are experiencing. I run Win 10 Pro (64-bit) with virtually everything run out of the Cloud (no local servers).

Thank you.  However, I do not experience the issue when the Meraki tab is closed.  Only when it is open.

610Drew
Comes here often

@610Drew wrote:

@Uberseehandel wrote:

@610Drew

Thank you.  However, I do not experience the issue when the Meraki tab is closed.  Only when it is open.

I found the setting to which you refer.  It's in Advanced -> System -> "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed".  I turned this off but the issue continues.

@610Drew wrote:

What do you mean by closed? My browser has a number of tabs, depending on how many I have opened up. If I close one oft hem, that tab no longer exists,  if I select another tab, the original one still exists, until I explicitly close it, it just isn't selected.

In any event I would test to see what happens when you enable and disable the browser processes option.

In all probability what is happening is that the unselected page is still receiving updates from the remote server, and the display is being updated.

@Uberseehandel wrote:

@610Drew wrote:

What do you mean by closed? My browser has a number of tabs, depending on how many I have opened up. If I close one oft hem, that tab no longer exists,  if I select another tab, the original one still exists, until I explicitly close it, it just isn't selected.

In any event I would test to see what happens when you enable and disable the browser processes option.

In all probability what is happening is that the unselected page is still receiving updates from the remote server, and the display is being updated.

Thanks for your reply.  By "closed" I mean I have clicked the little "X" on the right side of the tab and closed it.  Chrome remains open and I have other tabs open to other sites but I have no tab open to any "meraki.cisco.com" URL.

@610Drew wrote:

Thanks for your reply.  By "closed" I mean I have clicked the little "X" on the right side of the tab and closed it.  Chrome remains open and I have other tabs open to other sites but I have no tab open to any "meraki.cisco.com" URL.

It sound as if there are still processes running on Chrome that were not terminated when you closed the tab.

See what happens if you log out of the dashboard before you close the tab.

@Uberseehandel wrote:

@610Drew wrote:

It sound as if there are still processes running on Chrome that were not terminated when you closed the tab.

See what happens if you log out of the dashboard before you close the tab.

Thank you but I don't think you understand.  My problem does not persist when I close the tab connected to Meraki SM.  As long as I have no tabs open to "meraki.cisco.com", the computer will sleep.  It's only when I have a tab open to "meraki.cisco.com" do I have the issue.  So the question to me is, why does using Meraki SM in Chrome generate activity that prevents my computer from sleeping?  Why do I not see this behavior when using the native Edge browser in Windows 10?

I'm hoping someone who can answer that might see this thread and respond.  Have I found a bug?  Is this by design?  If so, why?

Again, thank you for looking at this.  I appreciate your time.

Cheers,

Drew

It is a Chrome problem. Chrome is not properly terminating the link to the Meraki servers. If you open up Task Manager, you may see some small but regular activity, which is probably hand-shaking/ "Are you still there" type activity. See what happens if you log out of the Meraki page before you close the tab.

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

Does this happen with other parts of Dashboard (like MR or MX networks) or is it only SM? This sounds like a bug on the SM page you're using. Be sure to make a wish describing the issue on the specific page where the issue is happening. Stuff like this is usually fixed rather quickly as long as they're made aware of the issue. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
610Drew
Comes here often

@MRCUR wrote:

Does this happen with other parts of Dashboard (like MR or MX networks) or is it only SM? This sounds like a bug on the SM page you're using. Be sure to make a wish describing the issue on the specific page where the issue is happening. Stuff like this is usually fixed rather quickly as long as they're made aware of the issue. 

Thank you for your reply.  I don't know about the other parts of the Dashboard as I don't actually own any Meraki products.  I'm just using the free version of SM to experiment with my own laptops and cell phones.

Good Idea though about the "wish".  I can post my issue there if there's enough room.

Cheers,

Drew

610Drew
Comes here often

Just in case any Cisco support engineer sees this thread, I have Case 02381515 opened.

Cheers,

Drew

@PhilipDAth wrote:

What happens if you use a different browser? 

@610Drew wrote:

I guess I should try that.  I would expect the same but let me see...

I do not experience the issue with Meraki SM open in Internet Edge.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You mention that is doesn't have the Meraki client installed but has it ever had the client installed? 

Maybe it wasn't removed properly if it was previously installed. 

@BlakeRichardson wrote:

You mention that is doesn't have the Meraki client installed but has it ever had the client installed? 

Maybe it wasn't removed properly if it was previously installed. 

Thank you for your reply.  No, this is a new laptop that has never had the Meraki client installed.  And if it were somehow related to the Meraki client, why would the issue only be with Chrome uploading something?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels