Geofence Lost Mode

SOLVED
RorySLM
Conversationalist

Geofence Lost Mode

Hello 

I am working in a museum and using System Manager to manage iPod touches we hand out to visitors. Devices are enrolled with DEP and supervised, and locked in single app mode. I want to set up a geofence so that if a visitor leaves the museum with the iPod it will go into lost mode, display a message on the screen, and we can see that it has been taken out of the area. 

I can see that I can get a notification sent to me if it leaves the area or if it leaves wifi, but is there a way to then automatically launch into lost mode? 

Spoiler
Thank You! 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
alexnilsson
Here to help

As soon as the iPod Touch leaves your wifi network the device can neither report it's location nor get any profile updates. Since it's locked in single app mode it cannot connect to a different wifi network and since it does not have a sim card slot it can't use cellular. 

So even if you could use geofence to set up a "lockdown profile" and alerts, the iPod Touch cannot make use of it.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
MarcP
Kind of a big deal

Just had q quick look into the www and my own SM, unfortunately didn´t find a solution.

Only that it is / was not pissible since 2017

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Endpoint-Management-Systems/Geofencing-with-policies/td-p/2150

alexnilsson
Here to help

As soon as the iPod Touch leaves your wifi network the device can neither report it's location nor get any profile updates. Since it's locked in single app mode it cannot connect to a different wifi network and since it does not have a sim card slot it can't use cellular. 

So even if you could use geofence to set up a "lockdown profile" and alerts, the iPod Touch cannot make use of it.

The other big issue is the iPad Touch doesn't have a GPS chip - so it can't report its real location.

It uses a simulated system of which SSID it is connected to and which public IP it is connecting to the cloud from to "guess" its location, but this is not something you could rely on down to a single building.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels