Few questions from a new user

SHuff
Just browsing

Few questions from a new user

So I'm relatively new to Meraki and I'm trying to learn a little more about it. 

1: When we've been adding new computers using the Meraki Agent, we've noticed at times that they don't appear in the device manager even though the computer itself says that the Agent is installed (Yes we have enough licenses). Usually an uninstall and reinstall solved the problem, just wondering why it does it in the first place.

2: Under System Manager in the sorting options there is an option for "Managed?" Even though all of these devices have Meraki installed some still come up as "No" wondering why that is.

Thank you in advance for any advice you could give to a new user.

6 REPLIES 6
CarolineS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @SHuff and thanks for posting! I think this question actually belongs in the Systems Manager board, so I'm moving it over there (from Dashboard & Administration). Cheers!

Caroline S | Community Manager, Cisco Meraki
New to the community? Get started here
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are these computers Mac's or PC's?

@SHuff If they are Mac's for some reason the agent no longer works, the work around is to install the profile instead. This will also solve your query about the devices not being managed as the agent doesn't give Meraki access to manage the device, it only sends diagnostic information. 

If you need help installing the profile let us know. 

Oh and welcome to the forums!

On the dashboard it states that the Agent is what allows remote installation of software. Which is one of the big reasons we have it. We want to be able to push programs and apps to our computers for users or when we get new devices to make setting up users easier. Like having all our base programs pushed to a device to install without having to sit down and do it one device, one app at a time. Does this still work with just the profile?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Negative.  You need the agent to install software on a PC or Mac.

@PhilipDAth We've had the issue of the computer not appearing in the dashboard with both Macs and PCs.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels