Feature: Do Not Disturb - Careful! Devices can go Offline!

PeterJames
Head in the Cloud

Feature: Do Not Disturb - Careful! Devices can go Offline!

The Do Not Disturb feature looks good and will put some of our customer base at ease, so first thank you for implementing this.

It is my understanding when a devices leaves the DND time, any en-queued commands will be pushed and executed one after each other. There is unfortunately one scenario that will result in the device(s) going offline from the entire platform until the end-user responds.

To Create this:- Have the App you want to update on the device screen (via Enable, then Disable SingleApp Mode) then push an App update for the running App. The user is now prompted to either accept the update from a Meraki URL or not. Either way, if the user is not at the device it will proceed to lock and then go offline, losing all communication with the MDM platform until the end-user responds.

The Meraki support staff have confirmed this is the expected behaviour (REF Case: 01810489) and is a limitation by the iOS.

Ideally, the commands should be set on a timer and only continue running if the previous command was successful.

Thank you,
Peter James

3 REPLIES 3
TylerJ
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

@PeterJames wrote:

The Do Not Disturb feature looks good and will put some of our customer base at ease, so first thank you for implementing this.

It is my understanding when a devices leaves the DND time, any en-queued commands will be pushed and executed one after each other. There is unfortunately one scenario that will result in the device(s) going offline from the entire platform until the end-user responds.

To Create this:- Have the App you want to update on the device screen (via Enable, then Disable SingleApp Mode) then push an App update for the running App. The user is now prompted to either accept the update from a Meraki URL or not. Either way, if the user is not at the device it will proceed to lock and then go offline, losing all communication with the MDM platform until the end-user responds.

The Meraki support staff have confirmed this is the expected behaviour (REF Case: 01810489) and is a limitation by the iOS.

Ideally, the commands should be set on a timer and only continue running if the previous command was successful.

Thank you,
Peter James

Hi Peter!

Thank you for the feedback. I'll go ahead and provide this to our product team, but please do leave it in the Make a Wish box you can find on the bottom right corner of the Meraki Dashboard. 

Best,
-Tyler J

PeterJames
Head in the Cloud

@TylerJ Thanks.

I have submitted a 'Make a Wish', but I have little hope. You really need to show some evidence that the 'Make a Wish' works for the SM Solution.

Thank you,
Peter James

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

I second @PeterJames about "Make a Wish", I have submitted several things that have lots of backing and that are in Apple's framework and can be easily added to Meraki and they are just ignored. Seems like a waste of time to even submit it when you are showing no results.

Find this helpful? Click the kudos button. Thanks!
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels