FYI: New System manager Profile Options (iOS12 to iOS 12.2)

PeterJames
Head in the Cloud

FYI: New System manager Profile Options (iOS12 to iOS 12.2)

Spot the new features 😄

I am just going to list all the iOS12 profile options...

iOS 12+

• Allow managed apps to write contacts to unmanaged contacts accounts
  • Allow unmanaged apps to read from merged contacts accounts

iOS 12.2+

• Allow server-side Siri logging

iOS 12+ Supervised

• Turn the Date & Time 'Set Automatically' feature to ON and disallow user disabling
  • Allow users to used saved passwords in Safari and AutoFill Passwords feature
  • Allow user's device to request passwords from nearby devices
  • Allow users to shaire their passwords with the Airdrop Passwords feature
  • Allow users to add or remove a cellular plan to the eSIM on the device
  • Allow users to modify the personal hotspot setting

Thank you,

Peter James

9 REPLIES 9
vassallon
Kind of a big deal

@PeterJames I'm just happy it appears Meraki is keeping up with Apple when these new restrictions are released. Still waiting for Apple to give us that ability to force location services on for our devices.

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

Hi @vassallon ,

Agreed! It appears Meraki is ahead of the public Apple documentation which is promising.

Just wish we had more visibility...

@vassallon I don't think Apple will ever allow this, due to their privacy statements.

In EU f.e. you are not allowed to track your employees/students because of the GDPR.

But what's the purpose you need it forced to on, kiosk mode? With Lost Mode you'll receive the location and the user is informed that he had been tracked after deactivating Lost Mode. In my point of view this is a good solution and it can't be misused by an admin.

vassallon
Kind of a big deal

@beks88 As Apple keeps releasing iOS versions that turn off Location Services after they have been turned on is my biggest need for this functionality. We ask our students to turn on location services as it make it much easier to locate iPads when they are lost as we don't necessarily have to enable lost mode to learn the last known location of the iPad.

I keep asking Apple to fix the bug that turns off location services but it seems like every Beta iOS I try I see the same behavior.

vassallon
Kind of a big deal

@PeterJames I'm still waiting for this to be added, shame Meraki didn't zero day this one as well.

Clear Restrictions Password

The ClearRestrictionsPassword command allows the server to clear the restrictions password and restrictions
set by the user on the device. Supervised only.
In iOS 12.2 and later, this command will clear the ScreenTime passcode too.
Availability: Available in iOS 8 and later.

This is a wonderful document for finding the new things Apple has released.

https://developer.apple.com/business/documentation/MDM-Protocol-Reference.pdf

+1 for this, i don't get it why they didn't implement this

@alexis_cazalaa Please make a wish for it as well, I already submitted it as a wish but the more of us who ask for this needed feature the better. I'd much rather be able to clear this passcode than having to reset the device.

Hi @vassallon ,

I guess you are aware that ScreenTime automatically enables 'usb restricted' mode that means after an hour you cannot use a smart charger, such as a PC?

I would encourage everyone to disable 'usb restricted mode' in their profiles but obviously  would depend your business case.

In regard to location services I want this to be automatically set to on. We use DEP / supervised devices, devices do not have an apple ID on and are shared among several employees. And this is where I think apple should allow remote permissions; on supervised shared devices only.

But the real reason for using location services is so that the date/automatically configures to UK. If they introduced this, we would have no need for it until a devices goes missing at which point 'Lost Mode' is sufficient.

But I will be requesting Clear Screen Time PIN.

@PeterJames Yep, I am very aware of the USB restricted mode setting, the moment I saw Apple was releasing that feature I wanted it off. I disabled that on all of our iPads the moment I was able to with Meraki. I very much want the ability to plug in my "FrankenCable" to connect an iPad to clear a forgotten passcode/iPad in lost mode that has been restarted.

I have also turned on the Turn the Date & Time 'Set Automatically' feature to ON and disallow user disabling setting as there have been several times where students have "broken" their iPads by mucking around with the Date/Time settings.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels