Expired iOS MDM APNS Certificate

SODAJOSH
New here

Expired iOS MDM APNS Certificate

My iOS MDM APNS Certificate expired and I have 34 devices enrolled with a configuration that added restrictions. These restrictions won't allow new email accounts to be set up, PINs to be changed, apps to be installed, etc. 

I now have an iPad in my possession that was enrolled under the old certificate. I can't seem to unenroll it in order to enroll it under the new certificate. Under General, there is no Profiles section, which is where the instructions tell me to remove the old profile and install the new one. I do see General>Device Management, which shows Meraki Management, but it is grayed out and offers no option to remove or un-install. 

Does anybody know how to re-enroll this device? I obviously can't remove the restrictions through the Systems Manager, because it is no longer communicating with the device. Please advise if you know... thanks in advance!

Josh McFall

10 REPLIES 10
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Is there any way to re-new the existing expired certificate - or have you actually replaced it now?

If you have replaced the certificate then I think your options are very limited.

No way to renew it... it was actually expired and removed. I'm feeling pretty limited right now! Thanks!

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

Have you tried re-enrolling the device with the manual enrollment link m.meraki.com?

Find this helpful? Click the kudos button. Thanks!
Melissa
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Have you tried calling Apple to ask for help with this? The best way forward would be to renew that old certificate, if possible! 

We've found sometimes that calling Apple directly can help.

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

From me experience, all devices must be re-enrolled if the certificate expires and Apple had no way of doing this. Using m.meraki.com and downloading the manual enrollment payload should let you replace that profile without wiping and re-enrolling each device. While I have not done it with this specific error, it has been very helpful to use in the past.

Jared

Hi. Anybody got a link to a guide in what to do when the certificate has expired please?

Melissa
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Thanks Melisa appreciate your help but already had that link. The only option I can see is to create a new certificate and re-enrol iPads and hope all setting are not lost unless someone can describe exactly any other steps around this. I'm new to Meraki MDM and recently taken over from somebody else so my Meraki experience is limited.

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

@DCBUK Unfortunately, there is no other option besides renewing the certificate and re-enrolling. Once the certificate expires, devices must be re-enrolled.

@jared_f is right Apple make it pretty clear that if the certificate expires then the only option is to create a new one. Apple do send multiple warnings before it expires.

I suggest if you use a generic account for your cert thats not monitored you at least forward it to a monitored account. 

Good luck with getting a resolution. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels