Dropbox SymLink Script

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

Dropbox SymLink Script

We have started using dropbox business for file sharing. Users have requested the ability to access files off the server at work. I easily packaged this up with a "dummy" app created in apple script so it shows as downloaded when it is pushed via Meraki. Not sure if anyone is looking at Dropbox, but here it is:

#!/bin/bash

#Create symbolic link between users network folder and dropbox so user can access files off network.
cd /Users/$USER/Dropbox
ln -s /Users/$USER/Desktop/$USER

You may have to edit the ln -s path to your network drive. All user data is stored in one drive with a subfolder for each user and permissions are adjusted so users can only view there data. When the user logs into the machine, a script runs that mounts the data drive if they are on network and create a symbolic link to there folder on the network drive. I was noticing if we did the ln -s command directly to the network drive and it was ejected (computer left the network) the symbolic link would break. Doing a symbolic link to the symbolic link to the network drive seems to be a work around. Still testing though.

Find this helpful? Click the kudos button. Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3
mmmmmmark
Building a reputation

Interesting. Thanks for that.

We use dropbox as well but we have field staff that access a single dropbox account on iPads so that they have access to forms and whatnot. Any idea if it's possible to push credentials out when pushing the app out using VPP in Meraki?

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

@mmmmmmark I don't believe any MDM has the ability to push app credentials. If you make the folder viewable publicly, could you scope it out at a Web Clip to your staff? Then it would save you the hassle of having to install/login to DB on each device. 

Possibly a work around, I have done it before with Google Drive, never Dropbox.

Find this helpful? Click the kudos button. Thanks!
mmmmmmark
Building a reputation

Thanks @jared_f that won't work for us though. Ah well.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels