Deleted Organization

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

Deleted Organization

Hi All,

I hope you are having a good start to the new year! Today I was testing an Apple TV enrollment on a free Apple TV 4K I got and I made a huge mistake. I have two networks in my organization a production network and a test network. I was going to make a third for Apple TV testing because both the production and test networks have most of their configuration profiles scoped out via policies and the Apple TV was receiving errors.

To get to the point, while trying to delete one of the networks I believe I deleted the organization all these networks lived under, one being production with devices. This network was under the 100-free licensing and was the only organization I had left under that. I am not sure if someone has made the same stupid mistake I have in this case. If so, was there any way you got the organization restored? I know, based on what I have seen in my research, there is a slim chance of this happening. I am preparing myself for the worst, but as I have heard, nothing on the internet is ever truly deleted!

Thanks for any advice and/or help,

Jared Flitt

Find this helpful? Click the kudos button. Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I would open a case with support ASAP.

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

@PhilipDAth I plan to. From my understanding, all devices have to be removed from Meraki before an organization can be deleted. Maybe I misunderstood. Thanks!

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That is also my understanding.

I have not deleted an organisation for a long time - but last time I had to raise a support ticket to complete the process of deleting it.  The GUI would not let me complete the whole process.

Agreed, do call Support ASAP, but generally speaking the deletion of an Organization is irreversible and Dashboard would have popped the appropriate warnings.  You also cannot delete an organization until it has no networks, no users, no licenses, and no devices claimed in the inventory, which is a way of making sure you really mean it.  Since it sounds like this may have only been an SM network with no physical/infrastructure devices in the inventory and no other networks or users defined, the deletion of your entire Org might have been a bit easier to do by accident.  Get with Support right away to see if there's anything that can be done to restore the org.

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

@MerakiDave That was my understanding also, I am hoping it is a glitch. We had devices enrolled, users defined, and two other networks with devices. I am going to give support a ring and explain the problem. It did warn me about a filevault key, but I dismissed it because I was playing with that in the test network I setup and it was not scoped to devices.

Thanks for chiming in! 

@jared_f Keep us posted on what support say. I'd be really interested to what they come back with.

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
jared_f
Kind of a big deal

@MilesMeraki I am speaking with them now. The issue is there is no record of our accout because it has been deleted. To get support to pickup I had to use a year old ticket number, and they still have no trace of the account. 

He said there is no way they can restore the account. But, he is is trying to see if they can honor the 100 device licneses. 

Makes sense, that was my assumptions. Did you have any physical devices or other Meraki licenses in the organization? You definitely shouldn't have been able to delete the org without un-claiming the devices first.

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
jared_f
Kind of a big deal

@MilesMeraki Nope, this was all MDM/SM. Just hoping to get the 100 licenses we had for free within the account.

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

Unfortunately, they could do nothing on their end. No way of pulling us up as a customer and zero record of our organization even existing. I am going to give it another try tomorrow - I will probably give sales a call and see what pricing they could give us for 25 devices. Thanks for chiming in.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels