Delay of IOS Updates

SOLVED
TimR
New here

Delay of IOS Updates

I have recently started using Meraki SM.  I tried updating the IOS on one device and it appeared to work.  The update was queued and eventually showed success.  But the phone never updated.  SM still shows the old version with the option to upgrade to 12.1.  And the phone is still at the previous version.  I did this from both the devices screen by selecting the device and using Command, Install IOS Update and also by going to the device and clicking on the IOS button and doing it there.

I have searched the community but could not find this issue.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Tim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes Sir that is correct 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
MikeMandalorian
A model citizen

To clarify  the phone its self is still not IOS 12.1,,   from my experience in this case  the end user has to install the New IOS manually , and then open the SM app to check it and it should reflect on the Dashboard .  the IOS update push we have on dashboard is the push for the IOS to download not install 

Thanks Mike.

So "Install available IOS updates" only downloads the image? 

Yes Sir that is correct 

if this helped please give a Kudo and/or accept as solution 

Thanks

Why do they use the term "install" in all these dialogues including the logs?  That is extremely misleading.

because it Installs or Downloads the IOS to the device , but i get what ya mean it is misleading . same thing happened to me when i took over the SM for my company

One thing I have noticed is that if there is a passcode on the device then that must be entered for the update to occur. If there is no passcode on the device when you send the command it will update automatically.

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

We have this same issue at our school. It shows success in the logs, but most of the time doesn't update the iPad.

What I don't understand, is that when it does work, it starts automatically. I don't have to manually start the install. In all cases, no account is logged in. If I do accidentally leave an iPad logged in, the logs will tell me.

A classic scenario for updating the iPads, would be setting up about 4 to 5 iPads up on a bench, all logged out. I would then manually send the update to those devices one at a time. All would eventually show success in logs, but only about 1 on average would start to update.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels