Delay OS software updates (Supervised iOS 11.3) - Two Questions

SOLVED
PeterJames
Head in the Cloud

Delay OS software updates (Supervised iOS 11.3) - Two Questions

Hi,

A couple of questions around 'Delay OS software updates (Supervised iOS 11.3)':

- If I have it set to 90 days, does it just go ahead and download/install after 90 days?

- If a new iOS version is released within the 90 days, does the count start again?

Thank you,
Peter James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

At 91 days the notification will be displayed on the iPad of the new update available. 

The countdown is iOS specific to the release date of the iOS, there is nothing specific to the device.

So say iOS 12 is released on Sept. 11th this year, if you had it set with a 90 day block then the iOS would start displaying on iPads on December 11th.

Keep in mind that this restriction doesn't occur until the device is on 11.3 or higher, so any devices not at 11.3 would see whatever the current iOS update that is available for that device.

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
vassallon
Kind of a big deal

So per the meeting I was with at Apple, this is my understanding.

On day 91 the new iOS will become available to the device for downloading. 

The countdown only is for each specific iOS. So it is 90 days for 11.4 and then a separate 90 days for 11.4.1.

@vassallon Thanks!

So at 91 days it does not start downloading by itself? Its just a normal notification about the update?

I am not still entirely sure how the 90 days works. Say I have a device on 11.3 and the 90 day profile was on. And say 11.4 was released 10 days after, does this mean the device is still on its original 90 days? E.g. 80 days left?

And now lets say we are on day 91 and it has detected 11.4.1 is now available. What happens?

Appreciate your help on this - Apple really need to start providing some FAQ's around this stuff!

Peter

At 91 days the notification will be displayed on the iPad of the new update available. 

The countdown is iOS specific to the release date of the iOS, there is nothing specific to the device.

So say iOS 12 is released on Sept. 11th this year, if you had it set with a 90 day block then the iOS would start displaying on iPads on December 11th.

Keep in mind that this restriction doesn't occur until the device is on 11.3 or higher, so any devices not at 11.3 would see whatever the current iOS update that is available for that device.

@vassallon - Thanks!

"The countdown is iOS specific to the release date of the iOS, there is nothing specific to the device." - Ahhh! That is the missing piece!

I was aware this is a feature of 11.3+ only and I think I have just been overthinking this. Was there ever an option released that would allow you to set the version you want to upgrade to? Or did I maybe make that up in my over thinking?

Thanks,
Peter

I don't believe there has ever been an option to specify which iOS devices are allowed. At least Apple is giving us the option to delay updates now. There's nothing worse than getting an new iOS right at testing time and hoping it is supported by the testing software.

@vassallon - That is so true! Mid deployment of a new iOS or App version roll out and BANG a new iOS is out! Did the regression testers go home already? ....Wake them up!

I think iOS11 is a version Apple may want to put behind them quickly. I have read a number of articles (leaked/Ex Employee) that indicate features were taking a back seat for a while, so stability could be the main focus.

But there is still somethings that need tidied up:

- Inability to see or set the Date/Time locality of a device and restrict access.

- Inability to see if the Bluetooth is turned on or nott, but you can turn it on or off.

Thanks again!

Peter James

I'm still waiting for Apple to give me the Bluetooth setting I asked for over a year ago. I want the ability to force Bluetooth to always on so that students can still pair devices and Apple Classroom cannot be broken by Bluetooth being turned off. 

Yes we got the ability to turn Bluetooth on and lock changes but it disables the ability for students to pair devices to the iPad. Not good when trying to use robots, wireless headphones or keyboards.

I've never even thought about restricting time and date on the iPads but it might be something to suggest as an enhancement as I have seen some students playing around with Date and Time that have caused issues in the past.

@vassallon That is a good idea! 

If Location is not turned on during setup, the Date/Time defaults to California time. Our requirements are two fold:
 - Be able to tell a device which TImezone to use remotely.

- Block the ability to change this.

Thank you,

Peter James

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels