Custom Profiles & Settings Help

SOLVED
akuma_xxx
Conversationalist

Custom Profiles & Settings Help

I have inherited a Meraki set up at my new job. There are many profiles (all seem custom made somehow) that are built with what seems to be custom .plist files etc. For example, a disable guest profile is enabled to disable all guest accounts. It has custom mcx settings on there. My question would be how can I build profiles on Meraki with custom profiles like these?

I have read about the managed app settings which do something similar, but these seem to be only for iOS or Android and not Mac OS X. Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jared_f
Kind of a big deal

@akuma_xxx

Your predecessor probably used a tool called mcxToProfile and uploaded the custom configuration profile to Meraki and scoped it out to the proper devices.

Here is the tool:

https://github.com/timsutton/mcxToProfile

I do stress this to you - Apple has started to move away from MCX and is highly encouraging (and eventually is going to force you) to stick with profiles. This is what I have been doing when I have been overhauling Mac OSX profiles:

Get a copy of Mac OSX Server and set up a local version of profile manager. You can create way more profiles in profile manager than Meraki offers (and I guarantee that are 100% supported by Apple as it is there framework and software).

Please let me know if you have any questions or need clarification, 

Jared Flitt

Find this helpful? Click the kudos button. Thanks!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jared_f
Kind of a big deal

@akuma_xxx

Your predecessor probably used a tool called mcxToProfile and uploaded the custom configuration profile to Meraki and scoped it out to the proper devices.

Here is the tool:

https://github.com/timsutton/mcxToProfile

I do stress this to you - Apple has started to move away from MCX and is highly encouraging (and eventually is going to force you) to stick with profiles. This is what I have been doing when I have been overhauling Mac OSX profiles:

Get a copy of Mac OSX Server and set up a local version of profile manager. You can create way more profiles in profile manager than Meraki offers (and I guarantee that are 100% supported by Apple as it is there framework and software).

Please let me know if you have any questions or need clarification, 

Jared Flitt

akuma_xxx
Conversationalist

@jared_f

Just checked. Profile manager does in fact have an option to create these custom settings. Exactly what I was looking for. I will keep the tool you mentioned as well just in case down the line I need a second option. 

Thanks for the help!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels