Couldn't remove passcode from managed ipad, now can't manage

seeformiles
New here

Couldn't remove passcode from managed ipad, now can't manage

I'm using Meraki Systems Manager (free). A student added a passcode to a machine.  I went into MDM commands and clicked Clear passcode.  It did not clear the passcode and then the ipad was locked.  I clicked Erase Device - nothing.  I finally connected to itunes and Restored the ipad.  I removed it from MDM and then reinstalled the management profile.  However, now it will not install any apps.  Under Apps in the management console it says "There are no apps available for this device." I have restarted it several times with no success.  In the Event Log I see error messages like this: 

Nov 08 13:49Install application response received-name: QR Code Reader by Scan, error: The iTunes Store ID of the application could not be validated., status: Error
Nov 08 13:49Install application response received-name: Classkick, error: The iTunes Store ID of the application could not be validated., status: Error
Nov 08 13:49Install application response received-name: Video Crop - Remove unwanted areas!, error: The iTunes Store ID of the application could not be validated., status: Error
Nov 08 13:49Install application response received-name: ChatterPix Kids, error: The iTunes Store ID of the application could not be validated., status: Error
Nov 08 13:48Install application response received-name: Moose Math - by Duck Duck Moose, error: The iTunes Store ID of the application could not be validated., status: Error
8 Replies 8
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Is the iPad in supervised mode - because that is the mode you need to be in to make this easier.

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

It sounds that your device has lost communication with the Meraki server or it is something conflicting in the device record from before the device was wiped and the kink has not been removed from the device record in the Meraki Dashboard after you re-enrolled. 

(1) To be quite honest, this is what I would do: Select the device in your dashboard (check it) and delete it from your network. Then, on the device remove the Meraki Profile you installed when the device was reset and do a manual enrollment with the following URL: m.meraki.com. This will re-enroll the device freshly and probably fix your problem. Note: Obviously if you use DEP you will need to reset and go through pre-stage enrollment.

Here are some other options to try if you do not feel like doing that:

(2) Make sure the device is able to communicate with the Meraki server. Try setting a passcode and wiping it. This will tell you if it is a communication issue.

(3) Do you have the Meraki MDM app installed and have some apps scoped to the app section available to users in the app? Try downloading an application and seeing if that updates the device's inventory and works out the kinks.

Also, make sure that your scopes are correct for the device. Often, if you mis-scope a config or app that isn't compatible with the device and/or how it is configured it will not allow the device to install anything else.

Jared

Was this helpful? Consider clicking the kudos button! Thanks!

Find this helpful? Click the kudos button. Thanks!

Thanks Jared,

I have tried removing the device in the console, removing the management on the device, and reinstalling twice now with no success. That is to say, it shows back up in the console and the management shows up on the device, but I still can't get apps to push out.

I just put a passcode on and successfully removed it using the MDM, so it is communicating (contrary to when this all started).  However, I'm still getting these error messages in the Activity Log:  Error: The iTunes Store ID of the application could not be validated (and yes, I am signed in to the apple ID on the ipad).

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

Ensure that the payments information on the device is set up properly. We often see this is the cause of managed apps (even free ones) not coming down. Might be worth a shot.

If by supervised you mean using apple configurator or DEP, no it is not.

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

If the device is not supervised by configurator or DEP then the user is prompted to install apps on unsupervised devices. Do you use the Meraki MDM app? If so, remove the device from the scope of these apps and add an app to Meraki MDM (disable auto install) and try downloading it from the MDM app.

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

Also, try opening the app store and making sure you have accepted the terms and conditions. Try downloading a free app.

I realized there was an ios update available and I did that, and checked all of the apple ID stuff.  Not sure what fixed it, but when I commanded it to reinstall missing apps this time it worked.  Thank you all for your help!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels