Contacts App terminating and tries to re install loop Android 8

MarkC
Here to help

Contacts App terminating and tries to re install loop Android 8

Hi All,

- Google Pixel

- Android 8

Have a strange issues with the contacts app on a device we have here.  I can go through the enrollment process as normal and all is ok until I start to use contacts.

After a few moments of using the contacts app it'll terminate itself, uninstalls any shortcuts I've placed on the home screen and then re install itself.

I've checked that the app is approved and authorised etc but for some reason it's just not playing ball.  If the phone is setup as normal, i/e without enrollment into MDM the app works fine, it;s only when the phone is enrolled i'm getting this issue.

Anyone else had this?

3 REPLIES 3
MarkC
Here to help

What gives with this forum software, i write a reply, if i havent logged in it then asks me to login.  Fine but then I loose everything I've written.  Anyways...

Seems this is a bigger issues and having the same problem with Android 7 and 8 with handsets from differing vendors.  It's only happening on the one application "Contacts"

So more updates.  The app has been re approved but Meraki insists on saying the date of when it was first approved.

The only option I might have now is to completly unapprove teh app but then i hit the risk of if the app is deleted so are users contacts.  Now hopefully users have synched their contacts but it's still something I'd prefer to fix rather than format and re install type fix.

Melissa
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Hi @MarkC! Has this issue been resolved?

If not, I'm wondering if it has something to do with how you are managing system apps on android. 

Maybe this article could help...let me know what you think!

https://documentation.meraki.com/SM/Apps_and_Software/Controlling_Android_System_Apps

From the AFW Deployment Guide:

Controlling Native System Apps

By default, all apps will be disabled when enrolling in Device Owner mode, including the default SMS and phone dialing apps. In Work Profile mode, Systems Manager will automatically create a work version of default apps, indicated with the orange briefcase, into the work profile. The applications that are installed by default or treated as 'system apps' will vary by device manufacturer - for example, Samsung devices use different dialer, camera, and SMS apps from Google Nexus or Pixel devices.

To customize which default Android apps are provisioned into Device Owner mode, or duplicated into the managed work profile, see the Controlling Android System Apps article.

https://documentation.meraki.com/SM/Deployment_Guides/Android_Enterprise_Deployment_Guide_(Android_f...)

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels