Configure Safari for MacOS

David_Limiero
New here

Configure Safari for MacOS

I'm wondering if there is a way to configure MacOS Safari to create certain preferences. For example, we want to turn off the ability to fill in passwords, set the URL to display the full URL, etc.

I'm relatively new to UEM -- I can see the Managed Apps to install key value pairs but have not been able to find data to fill these fields. Or should I be deploying a .plist file instead?

We're not as interested in locking down these settings as defaulting them. We use Chrome as our primary browser on Mac OS and have that one set up through Chrome Management.

Thanks in advance,

David

PS -- We are 100% remote if that makes any difference.

2 REPLIES 2
sshort
Building a reputation

@David_Limiero Deploying Safari settings is kinda messy, not even Jamf offers something out-of-the-box. Mojave complicates things a bit more in that a lot of Safari preferences aren't really admin configurable because they are protected with SIP.

You can use the Profile Manager feature in the macOS Server app (or something like ProfileCreator) to create a custom profile with the pref domain set to com.apple.Safari. There used to be a single plist with the same com.apple.Safari filename, but now you have to dig around in ~/Library/Safari for the exact settings you want. You can try setting up Safari exactly how you want it, then reference that folder to see what changes have been made to the plist files. You can then use Server.app or ProfileCreator.app to generate a mobileconfig, and then upload to your Meraki dashboard.

I would steer clear of profile manager, the software is not designed to be used for deployment its only deisgned for testing purposes. 

Most MDM's don't allow control of application settings. You could potentially install user default Safari preferences using an install package. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels