Chrome - Remote Desktop Beta - VNC - uVNC?

LegoGeek
Getting noticed

Chrome - Remote Desktop Beta - VNC - uVNC?

Just curious if anyone out there has got a VNC connection to "auto" work with any type of VNC software as opposed to what I'm doing now...

I'm using UltraVNC at the moment and I use the Remote Desktop Beta page to find my client, click to make the connection, the page (using Google Chrome) will reveal the "Connected!" information like the Link, and where to point the VNC client and including the Meraki site, user, and password.  I've got it down to where I wait for the Password for the current connection and cut and paste it into the uVNC viewer. Then the connection is established because my viewer has all the other info saved.  However, this is all manual clicking, copying, and opening stuff that I was hoping to avoid.

There is also listed the "Launch External Viewer, but in Chrome clicking that does nothing.  If I understand the code behind that button it is supposed to open up Java?

In any case - have any of you got this more automated where clicking on the client will automatically open a VNC connection?  My method and set up has been more "hope and poke" than actually knowing what I'm doing. 🙂  What I'm doing is working but was hoping to get it more streamlined.

6 REPLIES 6
Adam
Kind of a big deal

What type of devices are you managing?  Chrome OS devices? And are these devices local (LAN) or remote?

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
LegoGeek
Getting noticed

Hey Adam,

It's a mixture of everything but mainly PC's.  The devices are in multiple locations: some under the same LAN, some "out in the field" (ie public/home wifi), some in a secondary Meraki network that I manage via their wifi of LAN.

Adam
Kind of a big deal

Isn't UltraVNC or VNC primarily for LAN connections to your clients?  Where things like Teamviewer etc is for remote management?  

For LAN connections we use Dameware so we don't have to have a preconfigured agent on the workstation. 

LegoGeek
Getting noticed

Hey Adam,

Before going into your questions - what does Meraki Remote Desktop Beta use for Systems Manager?  I'm asking how I can get that page to work more automated.

The method I've described in my original question works for me no matter where I or the client is as long as they are connected to the internet somewhere in the world.  However, it's just cumbersome to get the established connection (i.e. cutting and pasting creds and such).

The agent is automatically installed via a Group Policy as I am originally setting up the client and adding them to our domain.

I'm just asking if anyone has got the method down to make that connection more automated (presuming I'm using the product uVNC incorrectly or have been missing a step to make uVNC "listen" better for the VNC call).

Adam
Kind of a big deal

We don't use that feature very heavily but my understanding is that it uses a Java VNC client.  

https://documentation.meraki.com/SM/Other_Topics/Systems_Manager_Remote_Desktop

Hi @LegoGeek 

Did you ever get a solution to your issue?

Cheers, M

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels