Can't access to icloud account on ios device after DEP profile pushed out

Jacko
Here to help

Can't access to icloud account on ios device after DEP profile pushed out

Hi all,

so after messing around all day with DEP i've managed to reset an ipad and iphone and they both pick up the DEP profile.

It prompts for AppleID on both so i've inputted those (chose NOT to skip this step in the profile).

However when i go into settings on both devices the account at the top is greyed out so cannot be accessed. Both say "update Apple ID settings" with a red notification circle, but obviously i can't.

My main concern is that i can't manage my icloud backups if i can't access the account.

I've checked the 'restriction' settings on the profile and can't see anywhere that effectively disables accessing the account in this way.

Can anyone please advise?

Thanks

19 REPLIES 19
DCooper
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

@JackoCan you provide more detailed information as to what steps you took? Did you move to DEP then wipe the device? During re-enrollment did you input the icloud information?

Ok,so.

1. Devices were in DEP and i assigned the core policy to them.
  2. used apple configurator to 'restore' one and chose 'erase settings' on the other. I was experimenting 😛
  3. devices wiped, then came up with only the steps i wanted to see appear. They asked for an appleId which i inputted.
  4. Both devices have tags that then pushes out a MDM settings profile that amongst other things changes desktop icons etc. which seems to work fine.

Think i said most of this in my op, as that's pretty much really all i've done.

That said, i'm new to this so please forgive any rookie errors i may have made.

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

It sounds like one of the tags you're applying to the devices in Dashboard is including a policy restricting the use of iCloud. Double check any settings you've configured on your profiles. 

MRCUR | CMNO #12

Thing is, i cant find ANY settings at all, across the board that actually disable access to icloud.

MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

The setting you're looking for should be under "iOS restrictions (supervised)" and is called "Allow modifying account settings (iOS 7+)"

MRCUR | CMNO #12

*double post*

Why thank you sir. That option was indeed unchecked.

However, i've checked it, saved the profile, refreshed the profile, and even rebooted the ipad from its device page in SM, but account settings are still greyed out.

I thought profiles and their subsequent amends are updated 'live' so to speak. I sent a message so that it forced a connection sync with the ipad.

Not sure what else to do short of wiping it again, but surely that defeats the object of have profiles applied post-supervision wipe.

alexis_cazalaa
Building a reputation

on a client details page, i would first check if "Settings" show : "up-to-date" under "Management" and double check if restrictions are still applied to that client or not by looking under "restrictions" ( middle of the page )Capture.PNG

Ok, so for this it turns out i had another profile that was deploying to ALL devices.

Since removing that things are looking better, but there are still things it's either not doing that i expect or i'm simply a goof at all this..... 😞

alexis_cazalaa
Building a reputation

please try to explain what else is bugging you

Ok, there are plenty of things that are bugging me but its only cos i can't get my head around some of it.

So, had issues prepping an iphoneSE into DEP. Eventually got it there, assigned it to Meraki and it appears in SM. Applied my core settings and also my 'supervised-iphone' profile.

It puts relevant apps on the front screen on the task try (if that's what you call it on ios)?

However, it doesn't allow the user to move/edit the home screens at all. I can't find which setting this is in the profile.

So, that would be a big step forward if i can nail that bit.

Thanks

alexis_cazalaa
Building a reputation

Home Screen Layout Payload in settings, would be the only thing i know, preventing users from moving the icons

But surely it shouldn't disallow the user from moving any of the icons around, especially any icons that ARE NOT specifically 'mentioned' in the home screen settings?

If so, then by simply adding a single app icon to the home screen it fudges anyone from moving anything.

that can't be right.

Bumping this as the community seems to respond quicker than the offical meraki support.
Could really do with some guidance on this please folks.
MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

Have you tried calling support? 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
jared_f
Kind of a big deal

@MRCUR Hope this helps. Navigate to that device in dashboard and go down to this. Notice you see the restrictions enforced and all profiles installed on the device.Screen Shot 2018-01-26 at 10.23.01 PM.png

Find this helpful? Click the kudos button. Thanks!

Lol, they directed me to a KB article and the community.
jared_f
Kind of a big deal

You need to check which restrictions are enforced on the device. Unless I could see your dashboard, I can’t really tell if it is a deeper issue.

jared_f
Kind of a big deal

You don’t have to guess what is being deployed to your device. Do a search in the dashboard and load up the device and look at the installed profiles. Then you can edit your scope of things from that.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels