Best use of tags

SOLVED
Josh3
Here to help

Best use of tags

Hi,

I am having an issue where I have an app that is only for ipads and my tags are by group.  Generally this works, but the app that is in the group tag also tries to install on iphones in that same group (due to a few other apps that are ok for phones).  What's the best way to keep that app from trying to install on a phone?

I created a tag called IpadOnlyApps and assigned this ipad app to that tag.  Then I am assigning that tag to all ipad devices.  Is that the best way to handle this situation?

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
WadeAlsup
A model citizen

Hi @Josh3

Sounds like the way you're handling it would work. I kind of do the opposite thing. I assign a tag to each device (since they can have multiple). So my iPhones get an "iPhone" tag, iPads get an "iPad" tag, etc...

Then I can manage apps/profiles based on Device as well as OS. All Devices with, without, etc...

I don't think there's a real right or wrong way to do it as long as it works for you/your environment and you're ok with how it's managed. 

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below) and If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
WadeAlsup
A model citizen

Hi @Josh3

Sounds like the way you're handling it would work. I kind of do the opposite thing. I assign a tag to each device (since they can have multiple). So my iPhones get an "iPhone" tag, iPads get an "iPad" tag, etc...

Then I can manage apps/profiles based on Device as well as OS. All Devices with, without, etc...

I don't think there's a real right or wrong way to do it as long as it works for you/your environment and you're ok with how it's managed. 

Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below) and If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution 🙂
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Josh3 we use three different category of tags. One for device type i.e. iPad, iPhone, Laptop Desktop. Second is if its a "Staff" device or a "shared" device. Then lastly we have department tags i.e. IT, healthandsafety, maintenance, finance..

With having this many you can specify tagging that is broad or be quite specific. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels