Apps aren't installing on Samsung device

Niels
Conversationalist

Apps aren't installing on Samsung device

I have 3 devices in my network: (devices are company owned)

- Samsung A3 with android 8.0.0

- Huawei Psmart with android 8.0.0

- Huawei Psmart with android 8.0.0

My devices are perfectly communicating with Meraki. When I push approved apps to my Huawei devices, the apps will be installed without any problem. The samsung device also receives an notification to install the app, but it's doesn't happen automatically. When I try to install it manually the app is telling me that my administrator didn't give me any rights to install this app. Somebody knows why my Samsung device won't install any apps? 

After I do a factory reset on the device and enroll it again in the same network, the device is installing all the approved apps without any problem. But afterwards when I try to install a new one, it's the same problem. 

10 REPLIES 10
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Are you using Device Owner mode?

Niels
Conversationalist

@PhilipDAth yes. It's very strange because on my Samsung Y6 everything is working fine. Same network, same profile, same everything, ... thinks this is an ongoing bug or something ... 

cta102
Building a reputation

I would point out that Samsung devices behave a little "inconsistently" when comparing different models on the same Android version number (from memory) they have multiple dev teams and each team deals with a group of phone models.

I would suggest trying at least one more A4 to see if it has the same issue and if so then raise a ticket with Meraki support.

It's one of the reasons I switched to 'vanilla' android products a few years ago (along with the regular and consistent security & firmware updates.)

kdavis
Here to help

I'm having this exact same issue with Samsung Galaxy Tab A tablets. I've filed a case, but apparently it's a "known" issue. I haven't received much of an answer besides that.
PlateauRepas
Here to help

Hi Meraki Staff can you just solve this issue,

It's been one month the problem was notified and all my samsung devices are impacted.

This take so much time to be solved what's the problem ?

Device Owner mode + App pushing = "your administrator didn't give you autorization".

One Galaxy Tab S2 / Galaxy A3...

Everybody is complaining about this issue, i replied on an topic where was exactly the same problem one month ago...

What we need to do ? Looking for another MDM for Samsung devices ?

JoshH
Getting noticed

You've probably already checked but, have you gone into the Meraki SM app > Configuration > and checked that there is a green tick next to AFW Account? If there's an orange triangle you need to click on it to activate and then wait a while. Once thats activated apps should start to download.

In my case (same problem).
Everything is checked in green.

When i take a look on the app page on SM managed app, i can see my application.

When i click on install. I see the app page on Google Play Store with the devil message :

"administrator don't give you access"

When i try to push app from meraki : i receive a notification on the device : Install Application : Name of the app and when you tap on the notif you fall on the Google Play Store app page again...

You will notice on affected device's that the owner name is missing in SM. I found that once I add a tag or change anything in properties the owner goes "poof" once enrolled with all green checks the device looks good just no owner.

eursua77
Conversationalist

Issue definitely lies with Cisco Meraki on this one, we've noticed this issue just over a week ago and still haven't received any real promising information from them.  They have several tickets open on the matter, but can offer no real solution as of yet.  Here's what they provided me with as an update today.  

Hi Edward,

Here is a brief summary of the issue with Meraki Managed AFW account:

Description of the issue:

- Can't push Apps to some managed devices that are using Meraki Managed AFW account. The devices are on the device owner mode, the Apps are approved to download, and see Apps as the managed applications on System Manager App.

The issue

-  The issue with how Google play store handles Meraki autogenerated owners when you use  Meraki-managed domains. Our engineer team is working on the fix for the issue. I don't have an ETA for this issue

Workaround

- No Workaround currently

If you need further assistance or clarification, please let me know. Thank you,

Regards,

Sunny 

Cisco Meraki Technical Support

Hello All - I found a work around on newly enrolled. When assigning the tags do it from the search screen do not drill down into the device to add the tags. You will find the device name stays, take note though if you manipulate the device name or any other properties the owner name will go away and apps will be a problem again.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels