Apple Quote: "a highly invasive technology called Mobile Device Management"

PeterJames
Head in the Cloud

Apple Quote: "a highly invasive technology called Mobile Device Management"

After reading the Apple Newsroom article The facts about parental control apps I get the feeling certain options for the SM App controlling non-supervised devices might come to an end....

This paragraph is the most telling ..."Over the last year, we became aware that several of these parental control apps were using a highly invasive technology called Mobile Device Management, or MDM. MDM gives a third party control and access over a device and its most sensitive information including user location, app use, email accounts, camera permissions, and browsing history."

5 REPLIES 5
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

Yikes! @PeterJames 

MDM does have legitimate uses. Businesses will sometimes install MDM on enterprise devices to keep better control over proprietary data and hardware. But it is incredibly risky—and a clear violation of App Store policies—for a private, consumer-focused app business to install MDM control over a customer’s device. Beyond the control that the app itself can exert over the user's device, research has shown that MDM profiles could be used by hackers to gain access for malicious purposes.

Enthusiast
cta102
Building a reputation

I suspect the real question is; when is Apple going to unveil their phone management subscription service?

Nick
Head in the Cloud

There will always be people attempting to abuse systems unfrotunately
PeterJames
Head in the Cloud

@Nick - If only we live in a trusted world...think of how far we could push technology.

We should start a new Internet and only use pigeons and dolphins we trust!

Nick
Head in the Cloud

@PeterJames - Precisely!

Noe that is a plan I can get behind. I am in!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels