Android Restrictions - Auto Grant All Permission

RonCBrown
Conversationalist

Android Restrictions - Auto Grant All Permission

Hello.

I've setup a Profile to use for our Samsung A5 (2017) phones we're currently deploying, all are set up with a Workspace (BYOD mode).

I've set up the managed app config for Gmail to connect to our Exchange server.

We've had a few end users (3 or 4 out of ~100) that have said that they're not able to open .docx or .pdf files from within the email. Most others are not having the issue.

I thought that maybe the end users are missing, or denying, to set permissions when prompted the first time they try opening a document. I added an Android Restrictions setting to our policy, and for Permissions I set it to "Auto Grant All Permissions", hoping that would prevent this issue.

Now when we enroll new devices, Email is working, but Calendar/Contacts are not syncing. End users get prompted to allow Gmail to access Calendars/Contacts but are not able to actually allow this. I've changed the Permissions setting to "Prompt user for permissions", and tried refreshing the profiles, but it seems the permissions are still locked from the previous settings. If I try to manually change the settings in the Workspace/Gmail app settings, it says "Unable to perform action", looks like it's still set from the "auto apply all permissions" setting.

Has anyone had this issue before, and found a way to reset the permissions within the workspace without having to remove/re-add it? I've tried moving the phone to different profiles, removing the Android restrictions altogether, but so are haven't been able to get the permissions to a point where I can set them.

Ron

3 REPLIES 3
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Could you use device owner mode?  It solves most of these kinds of issues.

I haven't tried that, It was an upper decision to use BYOD mode instead of device owner.

Removing the Workspace and re-enrolling the devices will work, but I was hoping for a solution I could do in the background.

I think I found the answer to my issue. By going into the Workplace Settings, I was able to find the Device Administrator settings for the Workspace. From there I deactivated the Email profile. After that I went back through the Gmail setup again and it's pulling the right settings from the profile now.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels