Adobe Acrobat Reader DC for Windows not showing up under System Manager > Monitor > Software

JWilkinson
New here

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC for Windows not showing up under System Manager > Monitor > Software

I have Adobe Acrobat Reader DC set up in apps for install, and the app is installing, but it is not showing up under software.  I did verify that the .exe exists here C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\AcroRd32.exe.  I am using the Adobe Distribution installer AcroRdrDC1901020064_en_US.exe.  Anyone have any experience with this?  

On a side note, who else is using System Manager to deploy both new applications and upgrade old ones?  So far I have used it in production to deploy Java, One Drive for Business, 7-Zip, VLC, Cisco Umbrella, Cisco AMP for Endpoints Connector, and Google Chrome.  

1 REPLY 1
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>On a side note, who else is using System Manager to deploy both new applications and upgrade old ones?

I feel very torn on this one.

I don't feel like Cisco Meraki are putting in a serious effort to improve the Windows 10 support.  It is seriously lacking compared to Microsoft Intune.

I find Systems Manager support of Windows 10 borders on it being unusable.

For example, I love that Systems Manager can can use WiFi Sentinel to deploy certificates onto a Windows 10 machine and configure WiFi - except if you log in using an Office 365/AAD account - and then it doesn't work.  I would say 80% of our customers use Office 365/Azure AD logins now.

I love that Systems Manager supports "wired sentry" - except that it has been broken - for such a long time.

For example, using Windows 10 Autopilot you can send a user a brand new machine, have them power it on, and log in with their Office 365 (aka Azure AD) credentials.  This will result in Microsoft Intune being deployed.

Windows 10 Autopilot also supports other MDM's - but not Cisco Meraki Systems Manager.  I asked support about any beta programs - but there is none.  Cisco Meraki are just way way too far behind the ball on this one.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/windows-autopilot/windows-autopilot

Using Intune if you want to deploy Word, Excel, etc - all you do is put a tick in the box next to the app.  Nothing to upload.  No command line to specify, nothing.  It is "Meraki Simple" - except it isn't Meraki.

This results in a user having all the software deployed that they need without IT having to ever touch the machine.  The machine can ship directly from distribution to the user.

This auto-installation using Windows 10 Autopilot + Intune may force us away from using Systems Manager on Windows - because the time savings when deploying new machines is so huge I wont be able to ignore the cost savings.

For example, lets say I was pitching for a deal to sell a customer a 100 new machines.  Using Windows 10 Autopilot + Intune I would quote $0 for configuring the machines, and the machines would ship as fast as distribution could send them.

Using the "traditional" aproach I would have them all sent to our office.  I would have a new image constructed.  I then get them unpacked in batches, imaged, and then re-packed, and then sent out.  The process would probably take several weeks and costs many thousands of dollars in labour.

The customer is obviously going to prefer the much cheaper faster option.

I find this very frustrating.  @Melissa perhaps you have some comment you can share?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels