Documentation Feedback: Meraki Licensing FAQs

MerakiCommunity
Community Manager
Community Manager

Documentation Feedback: Meraki Licensing FAQs

This is the community thread for feedback and questions on the documentation article Meraki Licensing FAQs.

15 REPLIES 15
Insight_Larry
New here

If I replace an older MX with a newer one, do I get a credit for the unused portion of the old license? If not, can I apply the unused portion of the old license to the new one?

@Insight_Larry 
See the section in the document under, Do I have to buy more licenses every time I buy new hardware?

Some licenses can be carried forward and used on different models, and some licenses can be converted from one model to another for certain hardware replacements. You can contact support or sales for inquiries about specific models.

Cameron Moody | Product Manager, Cisco Meraki
JodyB
Just browsing

I bought a license for MS120-8LP but I have a MS120-8FP, will this license still work? The only difference I see is the PoE power budget is more on the FP then the LP.
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

@JodyB, no, the license has to match the switch model exactly (only exception is the MS390 switch models). You’ll need to talk to your reseller and get a RMA on the incorrect license and order the correct one.

JodyB
Just browsing

@Bruce Awesome, Thank you for the information!   Wishful thinking though! 

Tomwatson
Comes here often

I can help you out with that if needs be?
MrComputerGuy
New here

I bought a product 2nd hand to expand my wifi coverage. I hear i need a license to use the product. Can i not log in it with ip and manage that way?
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@MrComputerGuy Meraki equipment is cloud managed so you need the correct licence in your cloud dashboard to manage it.  It is not designed for stand alone use.

Oh... ok.  Well thats less than pleasing to here. Sad to hear your products are not like the other companies. Thank you for your time guess to the trash with the product. Also will not be able to recommend your pay to use products to my customers. 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@MrComputerGuy I'm a customer not an Employee!  Only those with a green M are Meraki employees.  It is a different model but we find the costs are about the same as traditional Cisco, just divided differently.

MithunR
New here

Hi,
I have below equipments
1) APs ( Quantity =11)
2) MS210-24P switch (Quantity = 1)
3)MS220-24P switch (Quantity = 6)

As per the renewal license info, we can purchase renewal license in 1-day as well.
So, if i want to purchase renewal key for 60 days for all above items, will that be possible ?
and How much quantity should i buy ? is it
1) For APs -> 11 x 60 = 660 Quantity of LIC-ENT-1D ?
2) For MS210 -> 1 x 60 = 60 Quantity of LIC-MS210-24P-1D ?
3) For MS220 -> 6 x 60 = 360 Quantity of LIC-MS220-24P-1D ?

Thank you
ChristianPrados
Comes here often

Our Customer would like buy a new license before the expiration date of the current one. If he claims the new license before the expiration date, will the new expiration time count from the day after the current one expires?
This is a per-device license dashboard.

Thanks in advance

Did you get or find an answer to this question.  I'm ready to buy new licences early also.

You can renew early without losing out on the current term. If buying and applying a 3yr license 1 month before the current one ends, your 3yr will start from the expiry date of the current one.
Jeizzen
Getting noticed

I was able in the past to easily unassing a pdl active and burning license from, for example, an MX67C, and to assign it to another MX67C same Org or not, didn't matter.
Nowadays it seem a lot more not doable, getting error message, license just keep assigned to the original device, not able to assign it to another device.
I opened a case and Meraki says an active and burning license cannot be unassigned after the first 7 days (which i was able to do today on 2 different device that have older than 7 days active and burning license)

So what is the real call today about 1- unassigning an active and burning license from a device , 2- assigning it to another device, same model
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.