Heirarcy in SSID's

Limitless
Here to help

Heirarcy in SSID's

Can we create a group SSID and allow authentication from the 20 AP's to allow movement through shopping centre.

Can we then send individual splash page/coupon/voucher from each individual AP.  Or is there a better way to do it through splash page.

11 REPLIES 11
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

@Limitless wrote:

Can we create a group SSID and allow authentication from the 20 AP's to allow movement through shopping centre.

Yes, just configure an SSID and you're done. As long as all your APs are in the same network your clients will roam.

@Limitless wrote:

Can we then send individual splash page/coupon/voucher from each individual AP.  Or is there a better way to do it through splash page.

Oh dude, you do not want to do this. That would be an absolutely horrible user experience. If I had to sign into every AP I roamed to I would get off your Wifi and never, ever connect again. 

Yes we want 1 SSID so you don't have to sign in more than once. But we can drop a different voucher from each AP. That's why I asked can we create a group SSID with 20 SSIS's attached to the group. Hence the hierarchy question. Then we can send separate vouchers from individual AP's

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Sorry, I don't know of any way to do what you're asking. Maybe someone else here an be of more  help than me.

I also stand by my earlier statement, this sounds like a horrible user experience. 

Off course it would be why would anyone want to do that!

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

Just doesn't make sense to do all that work. Voucher from AP to AP? It's too much to config and not worth the headache.

Enthusiast

We are trying to deliver the appropriate voucher to the authenticated user by AP.  We may not send anyone a voucher if they are not tagged.  A solution as opposed to an opinion on why not to do it would help.

i wonder if you had each AP in a separate dashboard network with the same single SSID name on each, on the same L2 network, with different splash pages in each dashboard network if this would work. 

thats about all i could offer as a possible solution. I think roaming 'might' still work.

still clunky

Splash access have an excellent retail splash page solution and is well priced.

https://www.splashaccess.com/

They do support customised splash pages per AP.

Phil know Tim well

we have the offers from Retailers, we have the Barcode generator built & integrated into Twilio so we are just trying to drop through AP.  I suppose we could do it after authentication and forward to the second splash page. Was just trying to do seperate messages by zone 20% of Boots from AP outside boots. Free gift vouchers outside M&S etc.  We'll sort out on back end

What about using the Scanning API to triangulate where users are?

We already use this and that is how we zone our shopping centers and know what offers to serve up.  In the raw data we have serious issues with the position of the Scanning API.  We have built our own algorithm on top to improve the location. Thanks fo the feedback

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.