user content filtering for Wifi and hardwired departments on one MX64

SDMAOps
Conversationalist

user content filtering for Wifi and hardwired departments on one MX64

Small office with one MX64, one Access Point that supports one group, and one computer hardwired to the MX64.

I would like to be able to have different content filtering, traffic shaping, and event logs for each.  We do not have VPNs, or LAN, just a simple setup.

I have read about "Groups", and have looked at Wireless-> Network Access -> Device Type, but have not been able to figure out what is the correct approach.  I appreciate any guidance.

4 REPLIES 4
NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

I believe what your looking to do is create unique Group Policies for different devices. This would allow you to give one end device different rules/access/restrictions/bandwidth compared to others.

Event logs are separated by Meraki device type. Security appliance, wireless access point etc.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MR/Group_Policies_and_Blacklisting/Creating_and_Applying_Group_Poli...
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

Nolan,

Thank you for your suggestion and link. I did look at Groups, but was not sure if that was the correct way to go; I will check out your advice.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm not completely clear on your requirement.

Is it that you have two groups of users, one is connectd via WiFi, and the other is wired - and you want WiFi users to have one set of rules and wired to have another?

If so, I would create two VLANs on your MX. One for the WiFi users, and one for the wired user.  Then create a group policy policy for each, and apply it to the VLAN.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Networks_and_Routing/Configuring_VLANs_on_the_MX_Security_Applia...

Philip,

Your restating my situation is correct.  Thank you for your suggestion and the link. I will check it out.  Thank you.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.