Licence Management...

Tony9i9i9i
Here to help

Licence Management...

Hi All,

I'm told there is some way setting up a second organisation and switching non deployed deceives between the two to prevent licence days being consumed.

Has anyone done this? Does it work? And is there a how to guide anywhere?

I'm fairly new to Meraki and ask as we have just had circa 10% of our WAP estate returned to stores and would like to stop them consuming licence days if possible.

Regards,

Tony.

7 Replies 7
MarcP
Kind of a big deal

you can switch licences of not used devices and used devices...

You´ll need to open a support case through dashboard or phone.

They´ll need your old and new organizaton, an Admin in both orgs, the serial numbers of the devices and the daily support code as well.

Maybe the licence key is needed as well, but only had that once.

Hi Marc,

Thanks for your response.

What I want to do is stop unused kit consuming licence day's.

This sounds like we'd be moving unused kit to a second (dummy) organisation, with their licences, wouldn't license just be getting consumed by the kit when the kit was idle in the dummy organisation?

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Devices in your inventory that aren't actually in networks don't count towards the license limit. So there's no need to do that.

That said, applied licenses in your organisation will consume days, whether you have devices using them or not. So you should keep the "License limit -> licenses you have applied to your org" and "Current device count -> actual devices in networks" in your license page as close to each other as possible. If you have too many in your license limit column helpdesk may be able to help you. But I'm not sure.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>prevent licence days being consumed.

This will not work.  Even if you have an orgnisation with zero devices in your inventory the licences days will still be consumed.

Thanks for the responses guys.

So with this situation,

License statusOk
License expirationApr 24, 2020 (273 days from now)
MX Advanced SecurityNot activated

License limit Current device count

MS120-811
MS120-8FP33
MS210-24P22
MS210-48LP33
MS220-833
MS220-8P11
MS220-2421
MS220-24P22
MS220-48LP44
MX10011
Wireless AP180142

There is nothing I can do to stop the undeployed kit from consuming licenced days while it is not being used?

Tony.

No you can't do anything. You can try to get in contact with Meraki licensing (licensing@meraki.com) or support. They may be able to help you out by lowering the number of allowed APs and dividing the value of the removed ones over the actually used devices. This would then extend the license expiration date.

MarcP
Kind of a big deal

@BrechtSchamp wrote:

No you can't do anything. You can try to get in contact with Meraki licensing (licensing@meraki.com) or support. They may be able to help you out by lowering the number of allowed APs and dividing the value of the removed ones over the actually used devices. This would then extend the license expiration date.

hm... maybe I should get in touch with them too, got "some" MR´s in stock which will be used starting next year...

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.