Device location

WarrenForNOLA
Here to help

Device location

What are the benefits of adding the Physical address of Meraki devices in the location feature?

6 REPLIES 6
drgnslyr
Getting noticed

We like it when looking at the 'all networks' map it shows them in accurate geographic locations.  I suppose it depends on how many devices you have and how spread out they will be.  We span over 350 miles between our farthest points, so it is helpful to have them mapped out for us.

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

We have over 2000 teleworker all around the province , with the location it is easier to build stats , locate them ( eg: power outrage in a region , we can identify who is down ) , load-balanced them to the closed site. 

There are many reasons to , and many reasons to not use the location. It's mainly up to you ( and there is an API for that , a big plus ! ) 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The other great thing is it helps identify regional ISP faults.  If you see all of your devices in a certain geography have stopped working then you know it will be an ISP issue.

RaphaelL please state some reasons for me not to use the location. It will help to have cons along with the pros.

Nash
Kind of a big deal

For cons. I have a client who, due to the nature of the services they provide, closely guards their physical location. We do not keep the physical location anywhere in any of our various systems, to reduce the physical risk to the client.

We do, however, know what city this client is. We know who their ISP is.

WarrenForNOLA
Here to help

Thank you all for responding to my question. The reason I asked is that my supervisor wants me give a good business reason for me to use this feature on the devices we use on our campus. So it seems like he wants me to justify my actions.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.