cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is anyone still using these?

Here to help

Is anyone still using these?

Hey all,

I've had so many weird issues with these phones (all of which get chalked up as "expected behavior") and don't think I can continue to use them, not to mention all the billing issues. 🙃

The last straw for me has been that the screen locks and shows the time after listening to a voicemail longer than two minutes because it thinks the user is inactive.

Definitely starting to feel like an abandoned project that was never fully-baked. 

23 REPLIES 23
Getting noticed

Re: Is anyone still using these?

Yeah, that's why you can't even find them on the site anymore. Meraki realized there were many issues and are "going back to the drawing board" on VOIP from what I've heard. Not only is it not a part of CMNA currently, but they all but actively discourage the product in general at this time. You can still buy the phones thru your sales rep, if needed. I among the issues were only 1 SIP provider support, limited phone features, IVR, etc.

Personally I'd like to see them focus on their security appliances and switching.

Building a reputation

The phones are a total joke right now. We had an issue that made them unuseable for 24 hours, and took another week for a phone extension to work. Lost all VM and settings/greetings twice. All because of whatever issues on the “backend”. 

Kind of a big deal

I'm a full stack Meraki fanboy.  Even the cameras.  But the phones are one of the few things we never got into. 

Adam R MS | CISSP, CISM, VCP, MCITP, CCNP, ITILv3, CMNO
If this was helpful click the Kudo button below
If my reply solved your issue, please mark it as a solution.
Getting noticed

We had a trial of 5 units which I went ahead and bought just to keep track of the progress.  We were using them until Friday when we boxed them up for now.  The few folks I had on them still were not happy with me though as they loved the phones.  They loved the simplicity of them, it took no training to use. 

I was still planning on getting them and growing with the system but my reseller they could not even get them any more.  

I guess I will hold off until the re-release of the units.  

Here to help

The MC product line is the black-eye of the Cisco Meraki world.

Meraki Alumni (Retired) jc
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Hi Turas,

I’m glad that the solution is a good fit for your use case! It is interesting that your reseller was not able to get any more as MCs are very much still being sold. I have sent you a private message, hopefully we can find a solution.

Building a reputation

Has this become a truly dead product? 

Meraki Alumni (Retired) jc
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Hi Welles, I’m not sure what you mean as the MC is fully orderable through standard Meraki resellers. We also have customers who are happily using this product today. Or is there something else you are referring to?

I am sorry you have had issues with the MCs, I have sent you a direct message and hopefully we can find a solution for you.

Conversationalist

We too have been experiencing a lot of issues that feel interface / software related.   We were trying to wait it out hoping a fix would be coming, but I think we are at the point where we need to switch so we can go back to having a phone system that just works.

Getting noticed

I ended up abandoning the thought of deploying Meraki MC and instead landed on Cisco Webex Teams (formerly Spark) and am very glad I did. Have been using WebEx Teams internally for a year now and deploying it to a number of customers now. As a Cisco Partner can't beat the NFR offering for internal usage and demo.

Cohort Networks Inc.
Your Business. Connected.
Getting noticed

Webex Teams has a hardphone offering?

Here to help

They do! https://www.webex.com/products/calling/index.html

Tried it when Spark first came out and was really impressed.

Getting noticed

Wow, surprised I never saw this. Looks good at face-value, I'll have to check out.
Getting noticed

@JasonCampbell wrote:

Webex Teams has a hardphone offering?

They absolutely have deskphone (hardphone) offerings. A large number of them in fact that are also Cisco Call Manager compatible so a great solution for companies wanting to migrate from CM to a cloud managed/hybrid solution. 

Cohort Networks Inc.
Getting noticed

That's pretty sweet, for some reason i thought it was completely collaboration tech/softphone only at most. Please excuse me, but when you say Call Manager compatible, does that mean it fully integrates with CUCM?
Getting noticed

@JasonCampbell wrote:
Wow, surprised I never saw this. Looks good at face-value, I'll have to check out.

It's a premium product but worth the investment.

Cohort Networks Inc.
Getting noticed

@JasonCampbell wrote:
That's pretty sweet, for some reason i thought it was completely collaboration tech/softphone only at most. Please excuse me, but when you say Call Manager compatible, does that mean it fully integrates with CUCM?

It allows for hybrid call services. This probably addresses your question(s): https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cloudCollaboration/spark/hybridservices/callserv...

Cohort Networks Inc.
Getting noticed

To be more transparent, I work for an MSP. We have collaboration solutions already in place (i.e. Office 365/Microsoft Teams) and Cisco WebEx teams has been a "hard sell" to say the least in the past. I do have clients that may need both VOIP and collaboration upgrades because of growth and am looking for best combo of features/scalability. Any information from other MSPs would be helpful.
Getting noticed

@JasonCampbell We are also an MSP (https://cohort.net) in the Toronto, Canada market and also operate an online Meraki Store (https://cohort.ca) servicing Canada and will be launching sister sites in the USA and EU in short order. We got tired of dealing with VoIP providers that are sketchy at best (even the best of them are garbage) and landed on Cisco Spark which as you know transitioned into WebEx Teams. Being a Microsoft Partner we took a long hard look at Microsoft SfB/Teams with their PBX calling add-ons enabled but landed on WebEx Teams with calling service because at the time calling service on SfB/Teams was not available in Canada. Also being longtime members of the Apple Consultants Network (ACN) we liked the performance and the tight integration of Cisco WebEx Teams with Apple iOS and the Teams iOS App as a result of the Cisco Apple partnership. We have been on it for over a year and are having great success deploying it (currently working on a 100 seat deployment). While each platform has its pros and cons Cisco's QoS can't be beat as a result of their global networks supporting the WebEx Teams/Meetings service. WebEx Teams is Unified Communications (UC) done right in my books.

Cohort Networks Inc.
Meraki Employee

Hey team, thanks for all the comments and thoughts.  Cross-posting from a related thread:

I don't have roadmap to share but can say that MC is not a dead product.  As others have pointed out, yes, it has been removed from the web site and removed from training material like CMNO & CMNA.  But it will be relaunched. 

As @MRCUR mentioned, Todd has stated in hindsight that he considered the MC a failed product launch, but in true Meraki fashion, it was a "graceful failure" in that it's back to the drawing board to address call quality issues and build out missing features that kept it from fully ramping into prime time enterprise use. 

I know critics and competitors dropped all kinds of FUD on the heels of MC getting pulled for redevelopment, saying Meraki lost its way (nonsense).  Then Meraki had the most successful product launch in their history with MV.  If you don't fail on occasion, you're not trying hard enough, and that is the spirit of the MC relaunch that Meraki has embraced. 

Do some monthly check-ins with your local Meraki team on the status of MC.  And I'm sure the Community, Blog posts and Webinars will come full force when there's good news to share.

Building a reputation

Looks like the product line is dead now. 

New here

@logan wrote:

Hey all,

I've had so many weird issues with these phones (all of which get chalked up as "expected behavior") and don't think I can continue to use them, not to mention all the billing issues. 🙃

The last straw for me has been that the screen locks and shows the time after listening to a voicemail longer than two minutes because it thinks the user is inactive.

Definitely starting FetLife IMVU Canva to feel like an abandoned project that was never fully-baked. 

You can in any case purchase the telephones through your business rep, if necessary. I among the issues were just 1 SIP supplier bolster, restricted telephone highlights,

Highlighted
New here

In case you want to know How to  cancel Netflix  just the help from this blog

Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.