cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do the phones have a dial tone?

SOLVED
New here

Do the phones have a dial tone?

Am I missing something or this phones do not have a dial tone when headset is picked up? Is my phone broken? I can still make calls
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Getting noticed

Re: Do the phones have a dial tone?

The VoIP dial tone has an interesting secret: it's not real. A cell phone doesn't have  a dial tone, you can tell whether it has a signal by looking at how many bars it has. An IP phone is similar, in that you can tell if it can make a call by seeing if it is connected to the Local Area Network. The actual tone is an MP3 that is programmed into the phone itself.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Building a reputation

MC does not use a dialtone. Instead, to demonstrate that the phone is connected to the cloud and ready to place calls Meraki has added a small indicator on the phone display. Green is good.

Highlighted
Getting noticed

The VoIP dial tone has an interesting secret: it's not real. A cell phone doesn't have  a dial tone, you can tell whether it has a signal by looking at how many bars it has. An IP phone is similar, in that you can tell if it can make a call by seeing if it is connected to the Local Area Network. The actual tone is an MP3 that is programmed into the phone itself.

View solution in original post

Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.