cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can external caller call a given extension like a regular PBX ?

Conversationalist

Can external caller call a given extension like a regular PBX ?

Can the IVR be used to configure like a regular PBX ?

1. Greeting

2. Dial Extension

3. Search Directory - Search by last name and get extension returned

9 REPLIES
Getting noticed

Re: Can external caller call a given extension like a regular PBX ?

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes.

Meraki Employee

Hi @Communications,

Here you can find more information regarding IVR menus. You can assign a public number to the IVR so it is accesible from the PSTN.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MC/MC_Network_Administrator_Guides/Call_Routing/Creating_an_IVR_Men...

Conversationalist

Thanks for your replies, but I do not see how an external caller can dial an extension.

On  other PBX systems, like BCM or Asterisk, that I have worked on, the flow is as follows

1. External caller calls and gets a greeting

2. Greeting says "If you know the extension of the person dial it now. To search the Company Directory pres #, for information press 1, to reach the attendant press 0"

The IVR appears to have only the following options

• Play a recording
  • Transfer to a conference room
  • Transfer to an MC contact
  • Transfer to a submenu
  • Transfer to a call group
  • Transfer to an external number
Meraki Employee

Hi @Communications,

First you have to create your greeting with the options you need and upload it to an IVR menu on dashboard. Here's a screenshot >

When you call to the public phone number the main greeting will start playing .

Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 10.57.07 AM.png

Conversationalist

Thanks, playing the message is one of the IVR options. However, there is no Search Directory or dial extension after the message has played.
Am I missing something ?
Tags (1)
Meraki Employee

Gotcha, I understand now what you were looking for. At the moment directory search by extension is not available, only via IVR options can be transferred to specific extension (once mentioned over the greeting). 

I will make a feature request on your behalf. 

Highlighted
Here to help

We have been following the progress of this line closely, as a much more robust feature set needs to be built out before we can consider moving our offices over. A lot of programming on the "switch" side still needs to be made, including the Auto-Attendant options.

New here

Yes the Search Directory is a MUST-HAVE feature that we've been waiting for Meraki to add before switching over. Still waiting...

Getting noticed

I would be nice to have a rough estimate of features coming so we could plan better.  Although I figure the feature would have to come at some point it would be nice to have some ball parks like 1H 2018 or 2H 2018 so we know whether to keep it in the running.  These decisions are not made over night and knowing a time frame may keep it as an option.