Client visibility very patchy

SOLVED
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Client visibility very patchy

We have added a stacked pair of 9300s running 17.6.3 to a network that includes APs, another switch and an MX in routed mode.  Most of the ports aren't seeing any clients, even though they are connected to, for example, a vmware virtual server and passing tens of gigabytes of data per day.

Is this expected behaviour?

The connection seems stable and the ports other reporting looks good. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I raised a ticket with Meraki support in relation to client/traffic tracking/visibility. As usual Meraki support were quick to investigate and have responded to inform me that there is a known bug for tracking/visibility on aggregated ports. This would certainly explain the lack on client/traffic analytics on my own switches, not sure if it would also apply to you CMR.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Anyone else having success with client usage metrics, or even clients reported at all reliably? On each port I can see the overall usage, but 0 clients connected and any clients that are reported show 0 send and receive.  I am guessing that the switches might only have DNA essentials, but I don't get the banner shown in the guide.  The licensing that they have is C9300-DNA-P-48-3Y which translates as DNA Premier...?

Jeff-L
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Client-level analytics require a DNA Advantage license. The output of "show version" on the switch should confirm which license level is currently enabled.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Jeff-L the DNA Premier licensing is showing as DNA Advantage:

Technology Package License Information:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technology-package                                                Technology-package

Current                           Type                                    Next reboot

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

network-advantage       Smart License                    network-advantage

None                    Subscription Smart License       None

AIR License Level: AIR DNA Advantage

Next reload AIR license Level: AIR DNA Advantage

Jeff-L
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

@cmr Generally, we should see the DNA Advantage license listed as the "Subscription Smart License". Certain client analytic information requires this. More detail on enabling this license level is available at: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9300/software/release/17-6/configuration_...

It looks like you have the AIR DNA Advantage license enabled on the switch. Are you using this switch to manage wireless devices?

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@Jeff-L that turned out to be the issue, correct license applied, stack rebooted and all seems good 👍

DevOps_RC
Getting noticed

I've connected three switches, one individual and one stack of two. So far the individual switch is only displaying clients on the same vlan as the switch itself has an IP assigned to, and even then the actual amount of traffic linked to these clients is minimal Bytes rather than MB/GB. The stack is still currently only showing one switch and no clients. I have  only on-boarded these switches today. One other issue I've noticed is that it is highlighting vlan mis-match on some ports (these ports connect to MS390 switches), but the configuraiton is correctly applied to the switches, it seems the On-board switch which the Meraki dashboard isn't showing the correct trunked vlans, shows 1-1000 even though the vlans are named explictly.

The switches are 9300 models and have advantage licenses.

I raised a ticket with Meraki support in relation to client/traffic tracking/visibility. As usual Meraki support were quick to investigate and have responded to inform me that there is a known bug for tracking/visibility on aggregated ports. This would certainly explain the lack on client/traffic analytics on my own switches, not sure if it would also apply to you CMR.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Thanks @DevOps_RC, some of the ports are aggregated, but many are not and none show any client traffic now. The list of clients seems to have been from when we initially connected the switches where it captured about 15 of them... 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Scratch that, I just checked again and all ports that are not part of an aggregation do now show the clients and the traffic. There is still no overall traffic for the switch, but I'm guessing that the fix for aggregated ports might also fix that. Thanks again @DevOps_RC 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.