Can't connect to VPN (The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer)

Kenn_Val18
New here

Can't connect to VPN (The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer)

Hi @All 

Can you help me or give me some ideas on how to solve this VPN error on Windows 10: 'The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a processing error during initial negotiations with the remote computer'? Some users in our company cannot connect to our VPN when they are on public Wi-Fi or other internet connections, but they can connect using some other networks. We are using a Cisco Meraki MX 17.10.4.

Thank you.

1 Reply 1
Jonathan-S
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi @Kenn_Val18

Based on the error that you provided, my best guess is that the Internet connection that the client is connecting to is blocking UDP traffic 500 and/or 4500.

My recommendation would be to reach out to our Enterprise Support team in order to troubleshoot further with a client/device who is currently experiencing this issue. You can view the Support options by navigating to Help > Get help, followed by clicking on the "Still need help?" link.

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.